3.12.0 Release Candidate 1

There is now a release candidate available for the next release of SuperCollider, version 3.12.0-rc1. Please note this is a release candidate meant for testing and evaluation, and not an official release. If no major issues are found in the release candidate, a proper release will be made in about two weeks. You can download it here: Release 3.12.0-rc1 · supercollider/supercollider · GitHub

CHANGELOG.md contains a more extensive list of changes. Notable improvements in this version include:

• Supernova is now available on Windows
  • Supercollider is officially supported on Bela platform
  • macOS Big Sur is now fully supported
  • On macOS output signal won’t go over the system volume level
  • The method not found error in sclang now provides suggestions, using fuzzy array comparisons
  • Oppressive terminology has been updated throughout the project
  • CI has been updated to use GitHub Actions and now also runs our test suite

Happy coding!
Marcin & Josh

4 Likes

Fantastic work. I am particularly excited about these two features

Not sure what was changed, but a particularly nice improvement, at least on macos, is the GUI stuff seems to be waaaaaayyy more efficient.

Good to hear. GUI improvement might be due to upgraded Qt (5.15.2, I believe 3.11.2 was on 5.15.1 or earlier)

If something seems a little off, where would be preferable that I report that?
Not a regular bug report on the main SC repo right? Somewhere else right?

I think filing an issue on the SC repo is best.

Supernova is now available on Windows

That’s great news!

This is awesome! I’ve never used SuperNova. Are there significant differences as to what I can code on sn? If so, is there a place that lists the differences to scsynth? I can’t seem to find one on the github

@poison0ak take a look at ParGroup helpfile - only synths put in pargroups can take advantage of supernova multi-core processing.

Most things should be interchangeable between supernova and scsynth, but there are still some outstanding bugs in supernova.