Built wrong version, how to fix :)

After the struggle to figure out how to build SC on Linux, this question should be easy!

Looks like I accidentally built 3.13.0-dev, and some stuff does not seem to work.

How would I go back and build 3.12.2 instead? So, instead of this:

git clone https://github.com/SuperCollider.git

I would need to do… ?

Hi,

You did the right thing cloning the directory from Git !
What you need then is to use CMake flags to tell your compiler what version you’d like to compile :

See the section “Step 3: Set CMake flags” from the building page on Github.

Here, to specify Release version :

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

In fact, you might want to add additional flags, for example CPU optimization if you’re only using this particular build on the computer you’re building with :

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DNATIVE=ON ..

After specifying these flags, ‘make’ will build the version you’re asking for.

Note, I’ve never built wrong before, but you might have to uninstall the current version before compiling the new one, using :

sudo make uninstall
1 Like

Hmm, well, I still seem to have the dev version, but the thing that wasn’t working before is working now… I guess I’ll persist with it and see how it goes :slight_smile:

You need to checkout the appropriate branch or tag. The default branch is develop, but if you want to build SC 3.12.2, you can do git checkout Version-3.12.2

You can ignore warnings such as You are in 'detached HEAD' state.... They are only relevant if you plan to commit changes to the code.

-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE is about the build type, i.e. Release, Debug, RelMinSize, RelWithDebInfo, etc.

The version of a software can’t be set with CMake, this has to be done via the version control system (in this case Git).

Ok thanks, sorry for the wrong answer :slight_smile: .

No worries! ________

Oops! Well, anyway, as I said, for now the dev version seems to work. Am going to go and try and compile the plugins next…

All good, plugins built as well, linux happiness :slight_smile: :smiley: