Controlling Pattern params via DetectSilence

Hi SCers,

I’m trying to write a pattern for a PlayBuf-based synth that switches buffers when the buffer being played reaches a silent moment.

I’m stuck on how to get the 1/0 from the DetectSilence into a form that my Pbindef can use:

(
~dsbus = Bus.audio(s, 2);
~silentbus = Bus.control(s, 1);
~dssynth = SynthDef(\silent,
{var ds;
ds = DetectSilence.kr(A2K.kr(In.ar(~dsbus)), 0.001);
Out.kr(~silentbus, ds)
}).play;

~silent = Task({inf.do({
~silentbus.getSynchronous;
0.1.wait;
}).play;
)

And, the relevant bits of the Pbindef, fwiw:

Pbindef(\bp2, \bufnum, Pgate(Pseq([153, 19], inf), inf, Pfunc{~silent == 1} ), \out, [0, ~dsbus]).play;

Thanks in advance!

You need the assignment

~silent = ~silentbus.getSynchronous;

in the Task. However, if there’s no other reason to employ a Task, you can do that in the Pbind/Pbindef

Pfunc { ~silentbus.getSynchronous }

Thank you, Daniel. I had actually tried your suggestion as well, but getting confirmation from you helps me to understand that there is some other issue at play here. When I run the code below, the Pseq inside the Pgate doesn’t advance even when the DetectSilence is sending 1. I tried tracing the Pfunc to see what’s going on, but apparently .trace doesn’t work on Pfunc(?).
I also tried using Pfunc{~silentbus.getSynchronous ==1} just to see whether the gate needed to be explicitly converted to a Boolean inside the function, but that didn’t make any difference.

Polling the DetectSilence and .trace-ing the Pgate yields the following in the post window:

UGen(DetectSilence): 0
UGen(DetectSilence): 1//\bufnum should change to 19 here, but remains 152

~dsbus = Bus.audio(s, 2);
~silentbus = Bus.control(s, 1);
~dssynth = SynthDef(\silent,
{var ds;
ds = DetectSilence.kr(A2K.kr(In.ar(~dsbus)), 0.01).poll;
Out.kr(~silentbus, ds);
}).play;

Pbindef(\bp2, \bufnum, Pgate(Pseq([152, 19], inf), inf, Pfunc{~silentbus.getSynchronous}).trace, \out, [0, ~dsbus]).play;

Yes, I didn’t see it at first, Pgate’s third argument should be a key, the referred Pattern should give Booleans.

~silentbus = 1

(
Pbindef(\t,
	\busValue, Pfunc{ ~silentbus == 1 },
	\x, Pgate(
		Pseq([152, 19], inf), 
		inf, 
		\busValue
	).trace, 
	\out, 0
).play;
)

~silentbus = 0

BTW if you post code please enclose it with three backticks, this causes indentation and makes it better readable.

Thanks very much, Daniel, that did the trick. And thanks for the tip regarding the three backticks.