Good piano sound?

One could build a workaround for this, right? Can I combine \bend midicmds with \noteOn cmds for non-equal temperament tunings? :slight_smile: Iā€™m using Pianoteq 7 STAGE as an VST2, sadly the VST3 Plugin wonā€™t loadā€¦

Mac OS 10.14.6 Error message for the Pianoteq 7 STAGE VST3

Pianoteq STAGE 7.4.2/20210719/x86_64 fatal error [f52b081c]
Internal Error [com/plug/animation_timer.cc:56].
But this is probably more of a problem on Modarttā€™s side, right?

Thank you for your work on VSTPlugin!

1 Like

One could build a workaround for this, right? Can I combine \bend midicmds with \noteOn cmds for non-equal temperament tunings?

The problem is that pitch bend only works on the whole channel, while MIDI note detuning works per note. But if your tuning is fixed (i.e. doesnā€™t change dynamically), Pianoteq supports Scala files (Scala Home Page)

Iā€™m using Pianoteq 7 STAGE as an VST2, sadly the VST3 Plugin wonā€™t loadā€¦

Ah yes, I forgot that there is currently a bug that prevents the VST3 version from loading. I managed to get it working, but I need to make a proper fixā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s very nice, thanks for them demo! Iā€™d love to hear what happens when you move some of the sliders under ā€œvoicingā€ and ā€œdesignā€ as well.

I can highly recommend the Yamaha DX-7 cloneā€¦ and you may find the SCLorkSynths interesting:

Quarks.install("https://github.com/SCLOrkHub/SCLOrkSynths")

thisProcess.recompile

SCLorkSynths.gui // organ, keyboards, pads, etc.

Thanks.

Actually originally I had downloaded not the plugin but the source-code for itā€¦
I now use the provided Debian-package that installs the plugin into /usr/lib/vst3 which is also seems to be searched by the VSTPlugin - so it seems that there is a certain list of hard-coded directories that are searched besides ~/.vst2 and ~/.vst3.

so it seems that there is a certain list of hard-coded directories that are searched besides ~/.vst2 and ~/.vst3.

Yes. The documentation of VSTPlugin.search contains a list of all default search paths.

Hi,

I have tried your example, but I cannot get it to workā€¦
Here is what I try:

s.boot;
VSTPlugin.search;
(
SynthDef(\vstInst, { |out = 0|
	Out.ar(0, VSTPlugin.ar(numOut: 2));
}).add;
)
a = Synth(\vstInst);
c = VSTPluginController(a);
c.open("sfizz.vst3", editor: true);
c.editor;

Everything works fine until I call ā€œc.editorā€.
At this point an empty windows briefly appears and then the supercollider-server dies.

I have no clue how to approach this.

I am on Debian testing with SC 3.11.2 and I am using the Debian-package from the sfizz github-page.

Any idea on what I could try?

Many thanks!

Ah, sorry. I totally forgot that there seems to be a problem with sfizz.vst3 on Linux: .editor method on SuperCollider 3.11.0 cause server to crash (#135) Ā· Issues Ā· Pure Data libraries / vstplugin Ā· GitLab. Iā€™ll try to fix this, but it might take a couple of weeks till I get to itā€¦

Hereā€™s a temporary workaround: open sfizz.vst in a DAW, drag the sfz file into the editor and then save it as a VST3 preset file. In SC, open sfizz.vst and read the preset with loadPreset resp. readProgram.

If you encounter any more problems, feel free to write me a PM.

FWIW, I have been able to use the sfizz GUI in SuperCollider 3.12.something (building from the SC development branch, in Ubuntu Studio 20.04). I guess I canā€™t promise it will work in every environment, but you might try a more recent SC source tree.

hjh

Iā€™ve now come back to this and compiled sc from source.
I am now on 3.13.0-dev but the problem still persists (the bug is not fixed yet).

So I assume (or would you try it?) that compiling 3.13.2 would be a waste of timeā€¦

The workaround mentioned above by @Spacechild1 using a daw is not clear to me as I have no experience using a daw.

Could someone please explain to me in more detail how to do it with ardour on linux or is there currently any chance of the bug getting fixed in the forseeable future?on