Inquiry about YouTube SC Tutorials

Hello SC Users —

I’m trying to take a more active role in keeping a record of who is using my SuperCollider tutorials on YouTube, and for what purposes. The reason for this is primarily related to professional development and documentation, e.g. annual faculty activity reports, tenure portfolio materials, etc.

I am especially interested to know if anyone is using my tutorials as a sort of “digital textbook” in an official capacity, such as to supplement a formal university course. If so, I would appreciate knowing the instructor’s name, school, course number & title, and year(s) the course was taught.

By collecting this information, I hope to be able to make a clear and convincing case to academic reviewers that these tutorials carry the same significance as publishing an academic textbook in the more traditional sense. Of course, there is no obligation to respond if you wish to remain private/anonymous.

Thank you!
Eli

10 Likes

Hi Eli,

I routinely direct my students to your YouTube tutorials as an additional course material (ie. not mandatory but recommended watching).
Courses at Santa Clara University:
MUSC 115 - Experintal Sound Design
MUSC 157 - Laptop Orchestra
These have been offered once a year on average for the last 5 years or so.

I also point students to them when I teach the SuperCollider summer workshop every year at CCRMA / Stanford (last 6+ years every year)

Hope this helps! Thanks again for this amazing resource.

Bruno

Hi Eli,

I can’t offer you any formal use but your YouTube tutorials were of enormous use to me when I was writing software for my PhD in Electroacoustic Composition at Bangor, North Wales. I have since recommended them as the first “port of call” for numerous new SC users over the past five years or so, both in online forums and in real life.

Thank you for your work,

Richard

1 Like

I have learned heaps of things from your tutorials, the level is just right for me to get me further into SC.

Thanks from Stockholm!

Lukiss.

1 Like

Hallo Eli,
I lecture on a part-time (sometimes ad hoc) basis in local institutions, on topics related to sound design, audio DSP, music technology and DMI design. In the past I have used your tutorial series as a digital textbook, both for my own learning and development, and as a resource for learners. As for your 499C seminar (on Twitch?) streams, I can only say that they are invaluable. I realise you are perhaps not asking about the latter, but the level of detail, the content and structure are outstanding.
HTH
Brendan

1 Like

It was Richard who first pointed me to Eli’s toots ;). In person. At a conference. I was rambling about skills envy and option anxiety and Python and yada yada. He said, dude, Eli Fieldsteel + Supercollider, do it!

1 Like

Hi Eli,

I make my own videos, but I point my students to yours as well. You code very differently from me, so the added resource for them is priceless. I really appreciate being able to send somewhere to see how expressive the language can be from many coding styles.

Sam

1 Like

(Eli, the Supercollider group on FB is quite active too, it might be worthwhile posting over there too)

Hi,

I referred your Youtube channel and the tutorials on the channel in the following courses:

• Digital Sound Production at Kwangwoon University in Seoul, Korea: March 2013 - July. 2018. 11 semesters

• Special Courses for computer music at Chonnam National University, Kwangju, Korea: Summer, 2017.

However, I did not directly use your courses in my classes. I used my scripts.

Best,

I’m just getting started with them, but I really appreciate your tutorials. I’m going to watch the Patterns one next. This is something I’m struggling with and want to learn in more depth, as well as ProxySpaces and variable management.

I am a professor of mathematics at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I haven’t used your videos in a course yet, but I have pointed some individual students to them. I sometimes advise students on independent projects relating to mathematics and music, and I plan on mostly relying on Supercollider in that setting.

I have also used Supercollider in an outreach activity recently (2019), and while I didn’t show your videos they were crucial in teaching me Supercollider.

Your tutorials are really outstanding in quality, I consider them to be among the very best I have ever seen on any topic.

Marshall Hampton
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Minnesota Duluth

Hi Eli, I’ve been following your videos for about a year and half now and I must say, they have been invaluable and are almost a SuperCollider Bible for me. It’s one thing to read about functions and features in the help files and altogether another to see how people actually use them in application.

I’ve been meaning to buy the SuperCollider book for almost a year now but only recently managed to snag some installation work to offset the cost (yes, creative coding artists are not paid much in India, or at least I haven’t mange to find much work yet). I’m definitely getting in on your Patreon party as soon as I can afford to.

Thank you for creating such a valuable resource.

I usually recommend my students to check out your channel besides my own code examples and course material. This happened for example in the courses

• Music Programming A, DG1063
  • Music Programming B, DG1064
  • Music Programming, composition, DG8070

All taught at The Royal College of Music in Stockholm by me in the capacity of associate professor of electroacoustic composition.

Your videos are of great value both to me as a teacher (getting ideas for how to explain complex things etc) and to my students, so big thanks for making these openly available!

After several short attempts in the past, I’m trying to learn SuperCollider again since a week or two. Your tutorials have convinced me that I can learn it. My approach now, is to take about 3 different tutorials (CCRMA/ ‘a gentle introduction’ (also nice for beginners), CottleSC3.pdf (supercollider book?) and your youtube tutorials) so that if one lacks explaining a topic (in a good way), it likely will be covered by a other one in different or better words. Your tutorials also gave a nice overview of what you can actually do with supercollider. Thanks.