More words to SuperCollider Help Document Home

Looks very nice! Maybe its time for a Pull Request? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That looks quite nice to me. The title “Getting diving in deeper” sounds a little weird to me (a copy paste thing?), so perhaps that can be rephrased.

1 Like

Sorry! How about one of the followings?

• Diving deeper into SuperCollider.
  • Digging into SuperCollider.
  • Dive deeper into the subject.
  • Discovering more about SuperCollider.
  • Investigating SuperCollider.
  • Exploring SuperCollider.
  • Digging Further.

My first thought was simply “Diving deeper”, but I’m not a native speaker myself, so not sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Diving deeper”
+1

Thanks! Simple and nice!
Waiting for more answers!

1 Like

English weirdness: the plural of “code” in this sense is also “code” so:
Contributing to SC: Codes
should be
Contributing to SC: Code or
Contributing to SC: Share Code

IMHO Writing Classes is important! Maybe move it to the top of the Intermediate section?

I would also reorder Language Reference:Advanced

Partial Application
J concepts
List Comprehensions

– We should also rename J Concepts in SC as “Working with Multi-dimensional Arrays” perhaps (although that might need to be. a separate pull request? - few are familiar with J and many have questions about multidimensional arrays!

2 Likes

@semiquaver
Thanks, I have changed what you mentioned.

I have also added some guides and references that are not in the SC 3.4 for Windows documentation home.

I have not added a link for sclang, as I am not sure which is better for it between Process and Main.

The links for vscode, vscodium, jupyter and emas are now linked to each extension’s github.

The “Audio Device Selection” category does not seem appropriate. Should it be moved to the “Getting Started” section?

Would it be better to show the paths of sclang, scsynth, supernova and scide per OS? Showing these executables in the file explorer seems to help beginners understand the inter-application cooperation.

Should I mention the use with Raspberry Pi, Bela and Arduino?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/w981i28vwdo6va4bp57hc/sc-documentation-home-draft-3.mov?rlkey=b97k7w9egcsa0yai66jkxa393&dl=0

I think I have done almost all the necessary things and now I just need to do a PR. However, I will wait a few days for further answers! Thank you all very much. It is really nice to work with all of you! And I apologise to those of you who have a bad feeling about my rewriting or reusing your sentences.

When summarising, I have to change sentences without losing the core meaning and use DeepL, quillbot or wordtune due to my English skill. These processes can radically change both your and my original wording and sentences.

Here’s a quick edit of this paragraph for style:

In addition to managing server-side objects, sclang offers an interactive programming environment for on-the-fly coding, an extensive library for creating patterns and a library of scales and modes from various cultures. Creating processes that unfold over time is straighforward in sclang. It also provides all the essential features of a graphical user interface that can be used to create animated visual effects. With support for MIDI, OSC and HID, sclang can be easily interfaced with local and networked hardware and software.

1 Like

Leading with this phrase already assumes some sophistication on the part of a newcomer.

Perhaps something more direct like
“sclang controls audio synthesis processes on the server and offers…”

Maybe we shouldn’t over promise here :wink: It may be sufficient to say one can create custom user interfaces, data visualization, and animations.

Thanks for putting thought into this!

2 Likes

oh! straighforward is very good!!!

@semiquaver, @mike
Thanks!
Currently the paragraph is as follows:

sclang controls audio synthesis processes on the server and offers an interactive programming environment for on-the-fly coding, an extensive library for creating patterns and a library of scales and modes from various cultures. Creating processes that unfold over time is straighforward in sclang. It also provides all the essential features of a graphical user interface that can be used to create custom user interfaces, data visualization, and animations. With support for MIDI, OSC and HID, sclang can be easily interfaced with local and networked hardware and software.

I hesitate at the mention of other IDEs as they aren’t officially supported, and many aren’t fully operational (without experience/help).

Perhaps clarify that “community members also maintain slang integration with other popular IDEs such as…”

I suppose these details can be ironed out in the PR.

1 Like

@mike
Thanks!
The paragraph is then currently as follows:

The SuperCollider-IDE (Integrated Development Environment) allows you to start writing code right out of the box. Community members also maintain sclang integration with other popular IDEs such as Visual Studio Code, VSCodium, SCNvim, scvim, Emacs, and so on.

esp considering that graphics are scheduled on the app clock (sigh)

1 Like

A bit OT, but there is a great sc extension scintillator by lnihlen which allows to use Ugens for Video-Synthesis :open_mouth:

Although I really appreciate the thread I would suggest to move to a PR which allows for more easy collaboration-management where everyone who wants to add a change can simply suggest it via the PR procedure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Done! Thank you for encouraging me!

1 Like

animations is a bit too much. but it was tried many times (including unpublished older versions of sc), BUT some people manage to do it:

3 Likes

Thanks for the work @prko

If the jupyter SC3 notebooks get stable, and it’s easy to use, it will be a great way for people to know the language. It’s a great platform to write tutorials.

1 Like

Animations is probably ok: not so long ago, @neilcosgrove made a complete game engine for supercollider.

5 Likes

This is incredible. Love it!

Also, you have been able to do animations in SC from the beginning. I made a laptop ensemble piece in 2003 with live animation. I do miss the QuartzComposer plugin though. We really had it all for a hot minute.

Sam

1 Like

Wow, that’s incredible!

1 Like