[OT] AppleWatch with SuperCollider

Hello! I am in the early process of writing a watchOS app to get biometric data and accelerometer data from the Apple Watch to SuperCollider. Is there anything like this that already exists?

Any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

So I did this back with the Apple Watch 1 and 2, and the problem was that the data from the watch stops quite quickly if the app isn’t active (and it becomes inactive quite quickly!). There isn’t a way to force an app to stay on (like there is for an iPhone app). Also - all communication is via Bluetooth back to the companion app (on the phone) that would then talk back to SC over the network / OSC.
In short - it was disappointing. But if you want to discuss more I’m happy to describe what I was trying.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the info. That does sound disappointing! If there is no way to keep the data from stopping this seems pretty useless. It would be great to chat more about it.

Dan

There’s an XCode devkit for SC, Obj-C, Swift…

For what it’s worth to anyone else who wants to do this, I found a great app for iOS and watchOS that will send all the data via OSC, called Holon.ist

Does it seem to keep alive? Cool to see!

Yeah it does! I tested it for 10-15min or so.