Pdef and Scales

I was busy working on some patterns and decided to try the Pdef/pbind solution. However, I’m suprised to hear that when I change between patterns, the defined scale defaults back to major. I’m rather surprised to see/hear this, am I missing something?

Here’s my simple test example (the real SynthDef is more complicated, but with the same - scale - results):

Pdef(\m);
Pdef(\m).play;
Pdef(\m).fadeTime = 4;

(
a = Scale.dorian;
Pdef(\m,
	Pbind(
		\instrument, \default,
		\scale, Pfunc({a},inf),
		\degree, Pseq([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5], 4),
		\dur, 0.5,
		\amp, 0.2,
		\out, 0,
	);
);
)

Pdef(\m, Pbind(\instrument, \default, \dur, 1, \degree, Pseq([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5],8)));

Lastly, I should add I tried a few versions (with local or global variables), such as define the scale with ~a inside and outside the Pdef, and tried defining plain \scale, ~a,, but the results seem the same - unless I missed something out.

Any suggestions or remarks most grateful.

Since posting this I also notice another thing that doesn’t transfer across, \amp. Do we have to ‘literally’ redefine each variable? I thought that once the original Pdef is defined then everything stays the same, unless you change it with the \key

I think it’s because you’re redefining the Pbind inside the Pdef without expliciting the scale, which defaults to major. Try using Pbindef instead.

Pdef(\m);
Pdef(\m).play;
Pdef(\m).fadeTime = 4;

(
a = Scale.dorian;
Pbindef(\m,
		\instrument, \default,
		\scale, Pfunc({a},inf),
		\degree, Pseq([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5], 4),
		\dur, 0.5,
		\amp, 0.2,
		\out, 0,
);
)

Pbindef(\m, \instrument, \default, \dur, 1, \degree, Pseq([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5],8));

Yes, thanks loopier. In fact I just went out to do some shopping and realised whilst walking that I was indeed ‘redefining’ the original Pdef and so as you also say reseting the whole thing back to the default SynthDef.

I’ve been using Pbindef, but was looking into the Pdef for the fadeTime possibilities. Anyhow, back to the drawing board as they say.

Thanks again for leaving a suggestion.