Scsynth on microcontroller

Hello everyone,

would you expect that its possible to compile and run scsynth for a STM-based microcontroller like Daisy, Teensy, or a custom board, i.e. on a system with 100 to 200 Mhz – or is it rather that this would require fundamental changes to the architecture and has little prospect for success?

Thanks so much!

As far as I am aware, you will get better chances with something like Faust or Kronos. SuperCollier will do it in microcomputers such as the Bela (Beaglebone) Raspi … etc.
But that could be the kind of discussion to bring in the thread of SC4.

Cheers! I’ve now asked in the thread about SC4 whether it’s feasible for a future version.

I’ve looked into Faust a little bit but would prefer SC if its possible to get it to run in an environment thats quite restricted in terms of compute.

More generally, I’ve been wondering if something can be said about minimal requirements in terms of CPU/memory. I guess it’ll depend on how many oscillators etc are contained in the patch but perhaps there are some rough numbers to gauge whether, say, 192 Mhz are enough in principle?

More generally, I’ve been wondering if something can be said about minimal requirements in terms of CPU/memory.

The most constraining fact is that SuperCollider is a multi-threaded program with built-in networking and therefore won’t run on a microcontroller without heavy modification.

As James has said, SuperCollider already works on Bela, which is the most barebones you can get at the moment.

(As a side note: Bela had to add their own audio driver backend. The way forward would to add a generic “plugin” driver, so that libscsynth be easily embedded into existing applications that manage their own audio I/O, just like with libpd.)

That being said, it certainly would be possible to create a stripped down version of scsynth that could run on microcontrollers, but I’m not sure if you would get much value out of it…

I’d recommend using Faust instead. Faust does this (as well as being able to export to SuperCollider ugens): Romain Michon - Faust DSP on Microcontrollers