Sidechain gentle notch effect

I have two SynthDef sounds, one with a 2 second (1 bar) envelope and another that is constant and the frequency gets changed.

I would like to introduce sidechain and temporarily reduce the ‘amp’ amplitude of these sounds on the beat. The perfect solution is a notch (in time) that reduces the amplitude from 1 to 0 on an inverse exponent and then rises from 0 to 1 on an inverse exponent. I.e the fall starts the muting slow and then speeds up and once it hits 0 (on or around the beat) then quickly rises again and slows down as it reaches 1.

The problem is, perhaps, that my inability to know the name, phrase or provide a better explanation for this “amplitude vs time” notch is limiting my search for the perfect function that may already exist.

Please note that I already have the device that produces the sounds and the beat signal, so it is not a simple matter of creating a pbind or a pattern that has a repeating amplitude-shaping function. I can of course drop the amplitude to zero and then back to 1, but that does not sound natural and therefore I am looking for this smooth curved envelope that can temporarily mute the sound down then back up to its correct level naturally.

Many thanks in advance.
P

The three UGens you should take a look at: Amplitude, RMS and PeakFollower. Using these, in combination with methods like linexp, explin, or lincurve to re-scale your amplitude measurements to generate the amplitude you want to apply to your signal.

Note that Compander also provides similar functionality out-of-the-box, but it provides less freedom to have fine-grained control over the scaling.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion, but these only tell me what amplitude to return to after the notch, which may eventually be helpful, but, as yet, I have not worked out how to apply a V-shaped notch (with curved sides - like a tornado) to reduce the amplitude for the sidechain.

I think I know when to apply the notch, which will be a formula based on the bpm to calculate the time after the previous beat or step, since it needs to start reducing the amplitude before the beat.

All I need now is an amplitude-v-time notch ugen. Is there one?

EnvGen? Each segment can specify an arbitrary curvature: a positive curve value “pulls” the line toward the right, while a negative curve pulls it to the left.

There’s no need for a specific UGen for this. You can generate a notch shape using EnvGen, and you can apply the shape to amplitude using *.

hjh

Awesome!! The quality of the replies here is simply outstanding. Thank you.

1. I created the following Envelope in the SynthDef which produces my notch 0.125s after being triggered.

Env.new([1, 1, 1, 0, 1], [0,0,0.125, 0.125],[10, -20]).plot

2. I added a sidechain argument to my SynthDef and used it to trigger the envelope.

snd = snd * EnvGen.kr(Env.new([1, 1, 1, 0, 1], [0,0,0.125, 0.125],[10, -20]),sidechain,doneAction:0);

3. I send the trigger via OSC on the previous 8th note step (0.125s before the beat that I want to sidechain)

s.sendMsg("/n_set", node, “sidechain”, 1);

I may have to fiddle with the timings, but I thought I would update the question sooner rather than forgetting later.

Phil