*Solved* Supercollider crashes in MX Linux 19.3

Hello everyone. New here! I hate to signup for trouble shooting but I’m kind of tearing my hair out trying to get Supercollider to work in Linux. It opens up for a few seconds then crashes. Opening it from a terminal gets me this:

*** ERROR in JavaScript: “Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined”

  • line: 215
  • source ID: “file:///home/muaddib/.local/share/SuperCollider/Help/scdoc.js”
    *** ERROR in JavaScript: “Uncaught ReferenceError: CodeMirror is not defined”
  • line: 3
  • source ID: “file:///home/muaddib/.local/share/SuperCollider/Help/editor.js”
    *** ERROR in JavaScript: “Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined”
  • line: 157
  • source ID: “file:///home/muaddib/.local/share/SuperCollider/Help/scdoc.js”
    Received signal 11 SEGV_MAPERR 000000000009

I tried to compile it myself, but as I’ve never done it before I got super confused as soon as I got to the section on QT and gave up. I can’t seem to find anyone with this particular issue or find a decent solution. Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of how to get this working in linux?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hey @MonsterRadioMan,

Sorry you’re having such a hard time getting started with SC!

This looks similar to some issues in our bug tracker: https://github.com/supercollider/supercollider/issues/4367, https://github.com/supercollider/supercollider/issues/4392. In both cases, the problem was faulty packaging. I would suggest first reading those issues and checking whether the solution noted there works for you.

I’ve never used MX Linux; via their website, I found this list of packages, but SuperCollider isn’t on it. So one helpful piece of information you could provide is where you found the package that you installed. It may be that you have accidentally installed the same out-of-date 3.10.0 package that caused problems in those issues, and that the patched 3.10.4 package, or something even newer, will work for you.

If you’d like to keep trying to compile SC yourself, I’d be happy to help if you give more information on what you have done so far and what questions you have.

Hey! Thanks for the quick response. I think it was probably installed via the KX Studios repositories? I’m pretty sure that’s what they were installed from.

Great news! A friend of mine helped figure it out. We tried this:

First we tried using this to see if these scripts from github would help:

Unfortunately it was still crashing. But we started getting a different error:

scide: …/nouveau/pushbuf.c:723: nouveau_pushbuf_data: Assertion `kref’ failed.
Received signal 6

Well we realized that I hadn’t installed the non free drivers and my friend said there’s some bugs with QT and the nouveau drivers. So installed the non-free drivers and all is working now!

I don’t know whether or not it was just the drivers or a mix of both that helped, but I suspect it was really just the drivers that were the problem. I will edit the title to “solved”.

1 Like