Tips for running an installation

I’m working on a project at the moment which will involve generative playback of buffers and some light synthesis here and there, which will ultimately be installed in a gallery space for around four days. I’ll be using Eli Fieldsteel’s general setup from his Composing A Piece Pt. 3 tutorial to arrange everything into events and routines, the running of which will be determined by the online data the piece is requesting in real time.

I don’t have any specific questions, but I thought it might be a good opportunity to get a thread going for tips on how to make things run smoothly over the course of days (or longer!): things I should keep in mind within my code and on the computer more broadly, as it’ll be running on a raspberry pi.

I’m not quite sure I’ve selected the right category for this, but it seems to be the closest there is.

1 Like

Similar interest here. Specifically interested in sonification, so there’s overlap there. I’m definitely interested in following this thread - especially since I see things ultimately running on Raspberry Pi’s

I’ve also used Eli Fieldsteel’s general setup as a basis. In fact I did some refactoring and turned it into two files - one is a bunch of stub functions that you implement, defining your synths, routines and events, together with any initialization and cleanup code you need, the other is a bunch of boilerplate that takes care of calling these functions at the right time. I’ve found it useful.

What’s the best way to run a .scd file from a bash script? I get errors as soon as it gets to the first character of my project. Do I have to set it up differently so that in can be compiled from the script?