Tutorial: SuperCollider server plugins in C++

Just bumping this question from a year ago. I have the same error.

Sam

It looks like the cookiecutter script expects python to be executable (and version 3). Does running command -v python output anything? This is a way to verify if it exists and is executable.

Yes. This is the problem. Once I installed python 2 it (mostly) worked.

It doesn’t save the SC path correctly after you go through the cookiecutter questionnaire and was looking for it in the wrong location. I had to explicitly tell it the path when I ran cmake. This is explained in the Readme inside my created project, but the cookiecutter page seems to imply it will save the source location. Anyhow, I may try to fix that up “when I have some free time.”

Sam

I’ve fixed the python3 issue on MacOS in this pull request

3 Likes

Great tutorial @madskjeldgaard!
It was useful for getting back into the mindset of UGen development :slight_smile:

I’ve submitted a PR, fixing some issues and proposing slight changes to tracking the state variables, as well as filling out the docs and help file a bit more.

The tutorial has had a big refresher now thanks to @mike @mjsyts . Thanks <3

Read the updated text here: https://github.com/notam02/supercollider-plugin-tutorial/blob/main/tutorial/how-to-make-a-supercollider-plugin-cpp.md

Download EPUB and PDF versions of the tutorial here: Release Update the tutorial · notam02/supercollider-plugin-tutorial · GitHub

1 Like

Does anyone know how I can change the original post? The edit button seems gone. I’m a bit confused :melting_face:

@scztt do you know?

I see an edit button from the … menu below the post, between the flag and the bookmark. I see it for everyones because I’m ad admin, but you should have access for your own posts?

And, fwiw, it’s also possible to make the original post a Wiki so it’s editable by anyone, which might make sense for the format (but up to you).