Which IDE do you use?

Emacs is not only my editor for SC, it’s my window manager.
exwm FTW!

3 Likes

bump
sway, kitty, code and scnvim

1 Like

I’ve been using mainly the Supercollider IDE which I think works really well, but have recently been enamored with Atom (as I use it for other code as well). It’s very easy to set up and only needs the supercollider package (and of course scsynth via normal install). But there are some really neat features, such as the errors and debugging seem to be parsed out a bit better. Hard to break away from what all of the help and tutorials show, but works really well.

1 Like

i use the Hadron editor

3 Likes

SuperCool and beautiful design!!

2 Likes

Now, this is an alternative for me, too lazy to set up Vim or Emacs to play along with SC, I can see myself move in and live in this. All I did was to change the brown colour to something more… well, “me”.

I feel more at home than ever before in Hadron.
Thank You so much @htor for sharing.

Lukas.

1 Like

screenshot to Screenshots of SC in action please, @Lukiss :wave: :smile: :hugs:

@luka since you asked. Hadron and SC3.11.0 i think. Only gripe with Hadron really is that autocomplete and some shortcuts (in OS X afaik) isn’t working. Still use it though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A bit of a plug but I also wrote some syntax themes for SC in Atom which highlight symbols and argument tags: Woolgathering Light Syntax and Woolgathering Dark Syntax.

Makes life a little easier. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 (and I can say ‘plus one’ to make it to the minimal 20 char :slight_smile: )

just a quick plug: SCNvim does have these as well!

2 Likes

How about using Help Document in SCNvim? Unfortunately, I was unable to complete the installation of SCNvim on my machine…

SC-IDE also allows you to edit schelp files by opening the link to the files in the first line of the last two lines.

Help file source: /Users/prko/Dropbox/prko/__myDocs/Writings/Making Sound using Open Sources/mixed/dev - Bleeding edge/SuperCollider.app/Contents/Resources/HelpSource/Classes/SinOsc.schelp
link::Classes/SinOsc::

I think there must be certain users like me who will want to continue using SC-IDE unless the following features are fully supported in other code editors that allow SuperCollider to be used.

1. Auto-completion of class, method and method argument when typing.
  2. Reading help documents via “Look Up Documentation for Cursor”.
  3. Navigating through Help documents from an open Help document.
  4. Evaluating sc codes within Help documents.
  5. Open/edit help files.
    ← I think this is important for developers too, isn’t it?

SCNvim is not a practical replacement for SCIde for many people because it requires a whole different way of editing. (Of course for those who have learned the vim way this is a feature not a bug !)… fyi SCNvim does allow opening help under cursor via pandoc, with Mads Kjelgaatds telescope plugin you can access help documents and definitions with fuzzy searching as well. And it is straightforward to interpret code in help…

1 Like

Does scnvim also have syntax highlighting for scdoc? scvim does, I don’t think any other editor has that right now (including SCIDE)

sadly no! …time to file an issue :wink:

Um… SC-IDE shows different colours for different data types (such as number, string, character and symbol), keywords, variables and comments, as well as class names and methods, etc. It also shows the pair of brackets next to the cursor:

Correct, it uses the syntax highlighting rules for sclang, but doesn’t have syntax highlighting for scdoc. Notice how all the ‘tag::’ elements are highlighted like ‘symbol:’?

This will be in the VSCode plugin soon, I have a working proof of concept.

2 Likes

I misunderstood as well - SCNvim does seem to do highlighting for schelp

Ah, yes! I see what you mean now! Sorry!