A counterpart of scsynth for visualisation

This is just a question out of curiosity.

From the relationship between sclang and the audio server (scsynth or supernova), users can imagine using a video server that basically handles animation by playing video files with effects or using images with various processing. (For non-animated still images, I am not sure if they should be handled by the video server).

Even the Pen class could be part of the video server, I think.

However, SuperCollider does not separate this. Users need a cross-application approach with processing, madmax, etc. to do this.

Is there a reason why SuperCollider does not have a video server? Is it because it is focused on audio synthesis? There seem to be some quarks for that. Are they stable? (Some operations seem to be possible via WebView as well.)

I can think of at least one graphics-server project that was started but not finished(?) (maybe two). Scintillator is one; maybe there was an older project whose name I forgot.

EDIT: Scintillator may have moved along further than I thought (hadn’t heard anything about it in awhile, but it looks like work is ongoing) – scintillator / scintillator · GitLab

TX Modular (written in SC) includes a graphics engine that is not written in SC.

hjh

1 Like

Thank you so much! I will take a good look at them!