A pitch class set finder (a set theory calculator) for SC?

Hi there,

A pitch class set finder (a set theory calculator) for SC similar to the link below?
(finding the prime form and forte number is important for me)
https://www.jaytomlin.com/music/settheory/

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’m not sure what this app does, but it seems that sieves are a generalization of this idea.

“every well-ordered set that can be represented as points on a line, if it is given a reference point for the origin and a length u for the unit distance, this is a sieve”

– Xenakis, Formalized Music,

Sieves are based on modulus operation:

In SuperCollider 3_{2 }+ 4_{2} can be expressed as a list comprehension:

a = {: x+2, x <- inf, (x%4==0) || (x%3==0) };

(or course, you can do this with messy loops too, if you don’t care about lazy evaluation)

Actually it would be kind of fun to come up with a sugary notation for sieves.

And also with Set operations:

a = all {: x+2, x <- (0..40), (x%4)==0 || (x%3)==0 };

b = all {: x+2, x <- (0..40), (x%3)==0 || (x%5)==0 };

x = a.asSet | b.asSet; x.asArray.sort;

OpenMusic has a GUI element that is similar to this app. The paper uses math notation, so it may seem more complicated than it is, but maybe you’re trying something like this, or at least some kind of modular arithmetic.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282055734_Computer-Aided_Transformational_Analysis_with_Tone_Sieves/

2 Likes

@smoge
Thanks for this!

I used to work a bit with OpenMusic. It was a lot of fun! However, I have not explored it that much for work.

I have found a way to create musicXML using only sclang and have sclang display the rendered score using WebView if there is no microtonality in the notation or using an external editor for microtonality.
If I invest more time, I think I can create a Quark library that provides the above functionality…

I don’t know if relearning OpenMusic is faster than writing my own Quark, and if using such an automated musical moment is better than not using it. I only tried something and never integrated it into my composition. But I am still very interested in doing something with it.

1 Like