[Announce] New SuperCollider 3.11.2 patched release available for macOS Big Sur

Hi all,

I’m happy to share that we now have a release of SuperCollider 3.11.2 available for macOS 11 Big Sur. This is a modified version of the official release, patched specifically to function on Big Sur. Aside from that, there are no other changes, so users on other operating systems, including older versions of macOS, are unaffected.

The release artifact, labelled “SuperCollider-3.11.2+BigSur.aed25fa”, is now available on GitHub here, and can also be downloaded from our website here.

Big thanks are due to the many people in this thread who helped to bring this to fruition, in particular Marcin Pączkowski (dyfer) and Lily Foster (lilyinstarlight).

This release build has been tested by several community members without issue. However, since there was no beta release period it is possible that there are still undiscovered issues on Big Sur. As always, users are welcomed to submit any problems they encounter to our issue tracker here.

Regards,
Brian

3 Likes

Thanks a lot the dev team ! You rule !

1 Like

thanks brian heim. you’re awesome

You all rock so hard… My usage has been primarily Linux, but I used to pop in on my work mac until my mistaken Big Sur update. Thanks to all for the work!

Brilliant, million thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the info, but I’ve downloaded the latest version as I just received a MacBook pro Early 2015 that’s running Big Sur 11.2.3. and I’m not getting anywhere. All I get is an error saying “The application “SuperCollider” can’t be opened. -47”. Has anyone got a suggestion as to how to get around this?

Thanks in advance.

A little update - I tried loading earlier versions/builds of SC, which at first wouldn’t work, but then I went back as far as 3.9.3. and that does work. So, maybe someone has an explanation as to how I can update to a newer version.

Just an update, which might be useful if anyone else comes across this thread.

So, I discovered the solution, which was that since I bought this new computer second hand, it hadn’t dawned on me that the previous owner - a computer programmer - wouldn’t have installed Xcode. Once that was done, everything worked as normal.

All’s well that ends well.

Wow, that’s interesting. Installing XCode definitely should not be a requirement to run SC. Can anyone else confirm whether they were able to run SC on Big Sur without XCode?