Announcing Omni, a new DSL for audio programming

Hello everyone!

I also sent the same message to the Users list, but I thought it might be good to also post this here for people that do not follow conversations there.

It’s my pleasure to announce the first alpha release of a new DSL for audio programming that I’ve been working on lately. It’s called Omni, and it aims to be a very simple, yet deep, new way to code audio algorithms without having to go to lower level languages like C / C++. In a way, its scope is very similar to the likes of FAUST or Max’s gen~, while attempting to be a more minimal cross-platform and cross-application alternative.

If this sounds of any interest to you, here are some useful links to the GitHub repository, a WIP documentation website and a YouTube video of a talk I gave at the NimConf 2020 (Omni is written in Nim, a very nice compiled language with amazing metaprogramming capabilities).

Also, I guess it’s good to mention here that, since I am a SuperCollider and Max user, I have created two wrappers that compile Omni code to SuperCollider UGens and Max objects. These are called omnicollider and omnimax:

I hope this can be of use to some of you, and let me know if you encounter any bugs (which are to be expected, as it’s still a very young alpha project).

Of course, let me know if you have any questions! :slight_smile:

Take care!

Francesco

9 Likes

this looks fab. looking forward to trying

1 Like