Any experience setting up jack2 on windows 10 with SC

The last couple of days I have been trying to setup jack2 QjackCtl to route audio from SC to Reaper on Windows 10 but no luck. There are some tutorials using jack on windows but they are quite old. I am not sure about all the steps.
What I managed to do was to record sound into Reaper but without hearing even if I was monitoring the signal. I installed the ASIO4ALL driver and choose Asio and Jack inside Reaper. In SC i choose “ASIO : JackRouter” as my s.option.outDevice_( )
A side note: Also in the QjackCtl I am only be able to patch between things in in the Graph window. The wiring in the Patchbay doesn’t seem to correspond to the settings in the Graph. In the Patchbay I am not able to connect the wires to the individual in and outs

Anybody with any luck monitoring the the output of SC signal within a DAW?

I’ve never had any luck with ASIO4ALL.

SuperCollider and Reaper will run fine without ASIO. I haven’t worked with these but I read about them somewhere when looking into internal routing VB-Audio Virtual Apps As far as I know, they don’t do ASIO

If you’re using an interface with ASIO I think Reaper has a ReaRoute or ReWire plugin that should allow you to connect it with other audio programs.

I’ve also just used short TRS cables to connect outputs back into inputs on my interface which is a pretty lame hack, but it works (for example SC sound to interface out 3-4, to interface outs 3-4 to interace input 3-4, track inputs 3-4 in Reaper, monitor interface outs 1-2 via Reaper)

i think with the latest version of jack2 Downloads | JACK Audio Connection Kit you dont need to installl ASIO4ALL its already implemented. Its working for me on Windows 10 with Ableton 11. But im also trying to figure out how to setup the Patchbay in Qjackctl to be able to just listen to SC via an Audio Channel in Ableton 11 and not having the direct SC Audio Output at the same time. any help is very much appreciated.

On Windows, I think there are two ways to do this (though I can’t test atm):

• use jack2 or
  • use ReaRoute

When using jack2:

• start jack and make sure it works etc
  • start reaper and use JackRouter as the soundcard
  • start SC and use JackRouter as the soundcard
  • make any appropriate connections in qjackctl

When using ReaRoute:

• start Reaper
  • start SC and specify something like ASIO : ReaRoute as the soundcard (I haven’t tried this, so I’m not sure this works; also please double check the soundcard name).
  • follow any necessary setup in Reaper to get audio from ReaRoute

Few points that need clarification:

If you’re using an interface with ASIO I think Reaper has a ReaRoute or ReWire plugin that should allow you to connect it with other audio programs.

ReaRoute is a virtual ASIO driver that allows other (ASIO-capable) software to send audio to Reaper. I don’t think you need an ASIO-capable soundcard to use it - Reaper can use other APIs to talk to the soundcard. You would use ReaRoute as the souncard in your other application (that sends audio to Reaper).
ReWire is completely unrelated - it’s indeed a protocol for inter-application audio routing, but is now obsolete AFAIU, and both applications need to be able to use it (SC can’t).

Also, as @stwbass said, if you have a soundcard with multiple ins/outs, connecting in-out and using that as a “loopback” channel is a workable solution (though not optimal)

Please

2 Likes

I got ReaRoute to work! To good to be true!!! Really simple. Had to install it separately because I didn’t install it with the rest of the content. Then in SC I choose
s.options.outDevice_(
“ASIO : ReaRoute ASIO (x64)”) which I found by running s.options.outDevices.
Creating a couple of additional outputs for test. In Reaper I just picked the ReeRoute inputs from the drop-down. What is great is that I can still use my internal soundcard Realtek(R) Audio. All the other options routing from SC to Reaper on Windows have been dead-ends. Thanks for all the help. I’ll hope it will keep on working.

3 Likes

I have been trying everything that I can to make ReaRoute work with SC but no good result. At first, the server is stuck in yellow colors while trying to booting… Mysteriously, now it boots but I am having a glitch sound outcome from Reaper (have also tried changing interface buffer size, sample rate, etc).

This is the sound of {SinOsc.ar(440)/20}.play;

I am using Windows 11, SC 3.12.1, a RME Fireface 802, and Reaper 6.69. On Reaper, I’ve selecter ASIO and the RME. Also selected the ReaRoute on the input and disable recording of the track.

Here are my .options:

(
//s.options.device = "ASIO : ReaRoute ASIO (x64)";
s.options.inDevice_("ASIO : ReaRoute ASIO (x64)");
s.options.outDevice_("ASIO : ReaRoute ASIO (x64)");
//s.options.inDevice_(ServerOptions.devices[72]);
//s.options.outDevice_(ServerOptions.devices[72]);
s.options.numOutputBusChannels_(16);
s.options.numInputBusChannels_(16);
s.options.memSize_(2**20);
s.options.sampleRate_(44100);
)

@scnils can you detail what you have done? Did you set something on Windows (power management, run as admin, etc)? Any special configuration on Reaper regarding the usage of your audio interface?