Berlin 1994 - SC

This album was designed to be composed using SuperCollider, SCAMP-Python, and AV Linux. The music is based on mathematical algorithms coming from various areas, from calculus and linear algebra to differential equations, chaos theory, and stochastic processes. These algorithms are mapped to numbers in SuperCollider and SCAMP. They also use chaotic systems in their generative engines. It is Algorithmic Composition. After having the complete algorithm I make a renovation or edition of the algorithm in order the music does sound a bit less mathematical and a bit more aesthetic.

Musically, it is electroacoustic, drone, and ambient music, based on high contrast, both in form and in texture and timbre.

Its composition process was developed between 2012 and 2026.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that my music hasn’t been selling, and I’d really appreciate it if you could give me some honest feedback on my album. Why do you think it isn’t selling? Is the music not good? I’d genuinely appreciate your thoughts and any constructive feedback you can give me.

It’s a good question. I’d like to see more conversation about music here.

Your direct question is, “Why do you think it isn’t selling?” The simplest answer, of course, is that experimental music generally doesn’t sell that well, no matter how good it is.

More specifically, this is a fairly long track, without much textural variety, which also leans heavily into mid-high and high frequency noisy sounds. Midway through, I started running it through a spectrum analyzer; some peaks in problematic frequency zones are easy to spot.

Now, sure, I can imagine reasons to make music with this kind of harshness, and I can understand that the length is necessary perhaps to encourage the listener to let go of expectations (to roll with the sounds as they are coming) or perhaps to overwhelm the listener’s defenses.

With that said (and sorry to say), it’s quite physically uncomfortable. By comparison, I used to listen to my fair share of Autechre. There are a couple of things they do differently to make it more ear-friendly (I mean in physical terms, not necessarily musical style terms). One thing is the balance between mids and highs: highs for color, mids for support. Distortion in their hands is crunchy without shrieking. Another is that the high frequencies are often involved in articulating rhythm, meaning that the highs aren’t continuous piercing drones, but rather have a lot of movement and a lot of internal starting and stopping. The ear gets frequent micro-breaks. Sometimes they let the highs pause for a little while, again, to let the ear rest.

It reminds me of a few years ago when I was mixing recorded tracks from my electronic ensemble class. There was one mid-range drone that was drilling into my ears – I felt really fatigued after working on the mix for 40-50 minutes. I was struggling with EQ, anything to make that drone settle down. Then one of my colleagues suggested simple automation. That worked brilliantly. I could bring this drone to the foreground, then after a minute or two, reduce its volume and push it into the background of the mix. This allowed other parts to come forward without crowding the mix. Just changing the balance occasionally introduced a variety of texture that made the entire listening experience feel more balanced and pleasant. Technically very simple; huge difference in impact.

Just the other day I saw a friend’s name on a Facebook thread about whether composers should or shouldn’t consider the audience. I do consider the audience – not in the cheap way of trying to guess what they want to hear and pandering to that, but more in the sense of, what will the audience take away from this? What do they need to hear that maybe they’re not aware of right now? Which sounds will lift them up to a better state of mind, and how to deploy those over time? Then, compositional and audio generation algorithms are used in service to the answers to these questions. (Music is primarily a relationship, and only secondarily a product. Unfortunately many composition programs implicitly teach students to view the audience as a passive recipient, i.e., that “my idea” as a composer reigns supreme and the audience’s relationship to that is one of submission. I’ve come to feel that a more respectful view of the audience is what works better for me.)

hjh

In addition to James’ excellent comments, I’d add that there’s probably a very prosaic reason that your music isn’t selling - nobody knows it exists.
Expecting people to stumble upon it isn’t very realistic. You have to promote it if you want it to sell. Be that touring, sending copies to be reviewed by zines/blogs etc, or whatever. And accept that it will probably take time and effort.
Probably the first step is to identify who your likely audience is, and then work backwards from that to where do they discover new music.

There is a little bit of this in my album. It’s just that, despite your comments, I think you only focused on the first track. The rest of the album offers a different perspective. I don’t need any more comments from other people for now, please. I understand why my music doesn’t sell, and I’m happy this way.