Campanology? (Relevance for this forum?)

Hey guys, how hard would it be to take this beautiful campanology script and to modify it so as to incorporate a hunting bell?

(if the image isn’t loading, see https://www.treblesgoing.org.uk/plainhuntjohnheaton.html for a simple explanation.)

Moved because it was a reply to an unrelated thread. If you have a new question, start a new topic, don’t reply to an old thread that’s about something else.

And, moved to “Meta” because the topic appears to be irrelevant to this forum. Probably the thread should be deleted but I’d rather not unilaterally make that call.

hjh

Nah you misunderstood the whole thing mate. The post to which I responded was about the code that ended up being the post author’s “campanology" code for Cycle.

Campanology is basically a form of change ringing, and a “hunt bell” as shown in the diagram is a common and basic technique of change ringing “methods”. The author (and anyone else following the post closely) would have understood this perfectly and might have had some fascinating thoughts on how his script could be developed further to include this extra feature.

The diagram I posted is how change ringers notate methods. Again, something the author and I are fluent with.

Please move the comment back to the thread I originally posted the comment in. It’s perfectly related in every way.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Do not ¨returning¨ array

Sorry for the confusion, done.

It may be helpful, when in doubt, to use the quote feature to refer back to a specific earlier post. It’s a lot to ask admins to remember the gist of dozens of threads going back several weeks, or to scroll back to find that one sentence that makes the new post relevant. (The thread title, “do not return array,” didn’t provide much context.)

This one really threw me… perfectly obvious to you what you were responding to, but not at all obvious to this reader at least.

hjh

1 Like

No worries at all and thank you dearly for your patience, and I’ll be sure to remember and integrate your tips when I comment in the future.

I can’t imagine how difficult it must be moderating an environment dealing not only with years of intricate coding threads, but also a world’s history worth of music theory. I’d not have the fortitude for it :).

1 Like