Dependency installation issues on ubuntu

UPDATE: I downgraded from ubuntu studio 21.04 to 20.04.2 LTS and the github instructions for installing from source worked fine, so it seems like the issue might be related to the newer version of ubuntu studio. (?)

Hi all,

I’m trying to build SC on ubuntu studio 21.04 (got another linux machine) and am running into some things during dependency installations. I’m following these steps.

Two dependencies in particular are having trouble. On $ sudo apt-get install libudev-dev, I get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 udev : Breaks: systemd (< 247.3-3ubuntu3.1)
        Breaks: systemd:i386 (< 247.3-3ubuntu3.1)
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

And on $ sudo apt-get install qt5-default, I get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Package qt5-default is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'qt5-default' has no installation candidate

(although qtbase5-dev seems to install without problem).

These issues cause cmake to fail. I can post the result of that as well, if that would be helpful. As usual, the nuances of a Linux install seem to escape my grasp. Help and suggestions most appreciated.

Eli

As I understand it, this means some other package has already installed the 32-bit version of systemd (“i386”) but our requirement for udev in turn requires the 64-bit version of systemd, and apparently these can’t coexist.

Often a web search can find a solution for dependency hell but I didn’t find an answer quickly :anguished: … possibly a packaging bug.

The qt5 error, I have no idea.

hjh

Old thread bumpity bump:

A year ago, it might have been OK for Eli to downgrade Ubuntu Studio.

But 22.04 is the LTS version now. We really need to be able to build in Ubuntu LTS.

The udev package installation error is still there, and it is still a problem with cmake:

CMake Error in external_libraries/hidapi/linux/CMakeLists.txt:
  Found relative path while evaluating include directories of "hidapi":

"UDEV_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND"

How do we fix this?

I have a brand new machine, but no SuperCollider on it and it’s un-buildable… sigh.

(As a temporary measure I might try 3.11.2 from packages, but… I’ve been building SC for years, this is weird.)

hjh

For posterity: The instructions at apt - Can not install "libudev-dev" on Ubuntu 22.04 - Ask Ubuntu resolved the issue.

These instructions are probably too much (it changed my login screen :confounded: ) but they did at least get me there.

EDIT: “*** Welcome to SuperCollider 3.14.0-dev. *** For help press Ctrl-D.” I feel human again.

hjh