Developing New SuperCollider Tutorials

Hmmm, Flossmanuals seems to have entries for csound, chuck and pure data… we’re getting behind :slight_smile:

But mdbook to me looks fine too.

I made something about debugging (pull request). Feel free to have a look and comment.

Thanks! I will look later. I’ve just added some rough stuff to chapter 2. It’s very rough currently.

keep up the good work cian!
just sending you some words of encouragement :):wink:
really appreciate what you’re doing.

1 Like

@Cian, is it definitelly great idea -for me, I am very interested in a Cookbook.

The only confusing thing ( at least for me) is that there are many ( not a lot) of sc tutorials, often describing the same things, but they differ in some details - which I appreciate a lot. So the thing is to make a good compilation of all these details which I see as important nuances.

here I am adding to discussion tutorials which I like and I think could be interesting for the project. (Some of them I prepared for schelp format - it always good to have it handy, if somebody is interested a could share)
Stelios Manousakis course: - http://modularbrains.net/portfolio/supercollider-real-time-interactive-course-sc-code/

ixi tutorials: http://ecmc.rochester.edu/ecmc/docs/supercollider/scbook/Ch21_Interface_Investigations/ixi%20SC%20tutorial/

paum

1 Like

as a new user I was not allowed to put more as 2 links, so here I continue:

SC BOOK code examples: http://ecmc.rochester.edu/ecmc/docs/supercollider/scbook/

Les Hutchins code: http://sc3howto.blogspot.com/

Just noticed this thread.

A couple of years ago Andrea Valle wrote a book in Italian on the basics of Supercollider (and much more) as a sort of in depth introduction. It was then translated and proof read by Marinos Koutsomichalis, Josh Parmenter and myself. Its an excellent book even if a little bit ‘stiff’ due to language usage and the time limits we had. However, if anyone (beginners to intermediate), want a very good solid background tutorial then ask Andrea Valle where you can purchase a copy of his book (both in .pdf and book form last time a heard from Andrea).

Here’s the publishers webpage.

1 Like

Please check the book by Fitton:

http://www.fittonmusic.com/resources/resources.html

2 Likes

great idea,
where could one sign up to be notified once the tutorials are up and running?

discovered this thread just now - just wondering if we could get an update on the progress of this?

will the books be paper-based? or eDocs? and any date for release yet?

excited to hear more

this looks good @prko but Kindle only? would love a PDF

1 Like

I purchased a licence of Kindle edition of this book.
I can read it under macOS, Window, android and iOS as well as in Chrome.
I am satisfied with Amazon Kindle edition.

2 Likes

@prko I’ve gone ahead and bought it, it’s a very nice starter guide thanks :slight_smile:

i hope this doesn’t come off the wrong way, but i’d like to politely ask the community to hold off on inquiring about progress. it will get there when it gets there :slight_smile: we will certainly announce it when it reaches a mature state of development

the current state of the project can be seen at the github repository at: https://github.com/supercollider/learn. contributions are appreciated.

1 Like

As a newcomer in SC, I greatly appreciate your initiative. Would anyone have a comparison between Bruno Riviaro’s tutorial or Peter Fitton’s kindle tutorial? Which is better to start?

I’ve heard of that free supercollider book on kindle, but have not personally read it.

There’s a book called Introduction to Supercollider by Andrea Valle which is published in 2016; don’t know how good it is, but considering it’s published just a few years ago, I would imagine it to be more up to date than the SuperCollider Book.

As for your question, I am currently reading “A gentle Introduction to SuperCollider” by Bruno Riviaro and am loving it. I’m only half way through, and while I can’t tell how in-depth it gets in the second half, I find it extremely easy to follow and understand and seems to be a great “first material” for getting familiar with the language. I highly recommend it. :wink:

:star: Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should read next after Bruno’s “a gentle introduction to supercollider” ? the super collider book? or introduction to supercollider by andrea valle? of coures I also plan to supplement it with Eli Fieldsteel’s youtube tutorials as well :slight_smile: and of course the tutorial that is currently being worked on, when it comes out :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

My advice after this introduction would be to start building small projects and look up stuff as you go. I think it’s the only way to rise above running pre-made examples (rising above running examples can be surprisingly difficult at first, that’s when the forum and the mailing lists will come in handy - if you stick to it, things will eventually start to make sense).

1 Like

I would like to suggest the Karplus Strong Synthesis and the Oscillator Feedback in the tutorial.
Thanks

HI,

I’m new to SuperCollider and so just figuring out the best way through the available tutorials - starting with Eli Fieldsteel’s tutorials and then probably working through The SuperCollider Book. I’m watching the new tutorial github repo and I’ll contribute what I can - proof reading &c - if that’s useful.

One thing I think would be useful would be an overview of areas where The SuperCollider Book is out of date and where more up to date info can be found. For the time being at least it seems by far the most complete reference, but since it’s 8 years old there must be significant changes.

Thanks!

Just to add, as @jbaptiste and @TimYates haven’t mentioned them: there are also the tutorials already included in SC’s help system: “Getting-Started”, “Mark_Polishook_tutorial” and “A-Practical-Guide” (to Patterns), which provide a lot of useful information. Besides I agree with @shiihs that starting ‘hands-on’ as early as possible is essential. One learns programming mainly by doing.