Developing New SuperCollider Tutorials

Just as an update - I’ve been super busy with other projects (My time is very limited due to family commitments - and I took the decision to prioritize personal musical projects). I do plan to return to the tutorials, but I’ve not had the time recently. I also just haven’t been using SuperCollider recently, so that too has been an issue.

no worries! in response to the recent user survey, i have been dipping back into working on the books. at patrick’s suggestion, i’ve been using the intermediate book as a repository for articles/essays i’ve written on SC usage without worrying too much about structure and linearity. also got a bit of a start on the beginner tutorial as well.

i’ve been trying to think of what to prioritize in the short term that will benefit the most people… i’m thinking of digging into the sound design and synthdef-building portions of the beginner tutorial.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for picking up the project!
Synthdef building and sound design fits my need as a beginner perfectly. :kissing_heart:

unfortunately, although some progress has been made, i don’t have the time or motivation to do focused work on Learn SC anymore without financial support. sorry everyone.

Hey just found this…

Is there any sort of rough backup / drafts from this project?

It’s hosted on SuperCollider’s Github page: GitHub - supercollider/learn: Official SuperCollider tutorial. Not very readable in that current format though… If you don’t want to clone the repo and build it with mdbook, you can poke through the src folders for the actual content.

3 Likes

Hi there,

I have compared the table of contents of the manual or help documentation of Max, pd, Csound and SuperCollider:

I think it would be nice if a “Topic” section is added to the home page of the help document browser.
There could be listed built-in tutorials, guides, some threads in this forum and other learning resources (web pages, PDFs and videos) from the web per topic.

What do you think about this?

2 Likes

What I mean is the following:

1. Help browser home:
  2. Topics:

I think that Topics could just as easily be placed in the existing Guides category.

The real problem is that we don’t actually have any topic documentation yet.

I’d suggest there isn’t much benefit to adding a new category without content to put in it. To me, it would make more sense to add topic documents as Guides, and then in the future (when there are enough such documents) reevaluate whether they really are Guides or whether they belong in a new category.

hjh

1 Like

@jamshark70 I totally agree with you!