GraphDef not building at boot despite UGEN definitions being available

Hi. I’m returning to a project I started some ago and am getting GraphDef load errors. This is the post window read out on boot:

Booting server 'localhost' on address 127.0.0.1:57110.
exception in GraphDef_Load: UGen 'JPverbRaw' not installed.
while reading file: '/home/xxxxxxxx/.local/share/SuperCollider/synthdefs/verb.scsyndef'exception in GraphDef_Load: UGen 'TGaussRand' not installed.
while reading file: '/home/xxxxxxx/.local/share/SuperCollider/synthdefs/verbGrinder.scsyndef'JackDriver: client name is 'SuperCollider'
SC_AudioDriver: sample rate = 48000.000000, driver's block size = 4096
JackDriver: connected  system:capture_1 to SuperCollider:in_1
JackDriver: connected  system:capture_2 to SuperCollider:in_2
JackDriver: connected  SuperCollider:out_1 to system:playback_1
JackDriver: connecs
Requested notification messages from server 'localhost'
localhost: server process's maxLogins (1) matches with my options.
localhost: keeping clientID (0) as confirmed by server process.
Shared memory server interface initialized
-> localhost

The SC3Plugins directory is located: '/home/xxxxxx/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3Plugins and both JPverbRaw and TGaussRand are defined there in their respective plugin folders. The SC3Plugins were compiled from source on ArchLinux against the latest version of SuperCollider. I’m not entirely sure whether the error messge implies that the UGens can’t be found or whether it did find them but it wasn’t able to install them for some other reason. Can anyone provide any pointers as to what might be going wrong? Thx in advance…

I could be wrong about what is causing your error… but I had a similar issue where sc was compiled with a different version of boost from some of the plugins. The solution was to compile sc and the plugins specifying to use the system boost libraries for both.

Thanks for the reply jordan. I recompiled SuperCollider using the systems Boost libraries and it has not solved the problem. This is the result in the post window after recompiling under system boost

Initiating ATKAnimator instances....
exception in GraphDef_Load: UGen 'TGaussRand' not installed.
while reading file: '/home/xxxxx/.local/share/SuperCollider/synthdefs/blockSynth2.scsyndef'exception in GraphDef_Load: UGen 'TGaussRand' not installed.
while reading file: '/home/xxxxxxx/.local/share/SuperCollider/synthdefs/blockSynth2.scsyndef'File '/home/xxxxxxx/.local/share/SuperCollider/synthdefs/blockSynth2.scsyndef' could not be opened
SCDoc: Indexing help-files...
SCDoc: Indexing help-files...
SCDoc: Indexed 2829 documents in 3.35 seconds
SCDoc: Indexed 2829 documents in 3.73 seconds
WARNING: SCDoc: In /home/xxxxxxxx/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/BhobUGens/HelpSource/Classes/TBetaRand.schelp
  Method *ar has 5 args, but doc has 4 argument:: tags.
WARNING: SCDoc: In /home/xxxxxxx/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/BhobUGens/HelpSource/Classes/TBetaRand.schelp
  Method *ar has arg named 'prob1', but doc has 'argument:: prob1, prob2'.
WARNING: SCDoc: In /home/xxxxxxx/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/BhobUGens/HelpSource/Classes/TBetaRand.schelp
  Method *ar has arg named 'prob2', but doc has 'argument:: trig'.

There appears to be a problem in finding the bhobGens,sc file where TGaussRand and TBetaRand are defined OR there’s something else going wrong in the Graph_Recv operation. I use a lot of other UGens in the project but only TGaussRand, TBetaRand and JPverbRaw are problematic. I’ll try replacing them with alternative random generators and another verb to check whether there’s a problem within my Synthdefs

Sorry about sending you down that rabbit of recompiling!

The only thing I can think to check is in the IDE, under Edit > Preferences > Interpreter, there is a list of included directories. All of my SC3 things are in /usr/share/… and not listed here, but some other plugins I have made are. Is ~.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3Plugins listed here?

No worries about recompiling with Boost jordan…; nothing tried is ever wasted :slight_smile: I recompiled SuperCollider once more; this time allowing it to install in the default directory at /usr/local (previously I had been installing the main scide program in ~/.local/bin). In addition, I set flag -DSUPERNOVA to ‘NO’ and left Boost out of the cmake command. The end result: no more nasty error messages about JPverbRaw, TGaussRand or TBetaRand at boot. Fingers crossed I think its sorted…! Thx again…