IEM Music Residency Program 2024 - Call for Applications
University of Music and Performing Arts Graz (KUG)
The IEM – Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics – in Graz, Austria is happy to announce its call for its 2024 residency program.
Artistic Research Residency
The residency is aimed at individuals wishing to pursue an artistic research project in close collaboration with an IEM staff member and related to the research fields of the IEM:
- Algorithmic Composition
- Algorithmic Experimentation
- Dynamical Systems
- Experimental Game Design
- Live Coding
- Sonic Interaction Design
- Spatialization/higher-order Ambisonics
- Standard and non-standard Sound Synthesis
Duration of residency: 4 months
Start date: September 1st 2024 (negotiable)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 31th 2024
Please reply to the official call by KUG for an University Assistant:
https://csc-kug.at/fileadmin/usr/all/documents/Stellenausschreibungen_2024_01/mb_10_s_3d_Ausschreibungstext_Inst17_Univ_Ass_kuenstlerische_Forschung_Residenz_I.pdf (in German and English)
The Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics is a department of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz founded in 1965. It is a leading institution in its field, with more than 35 staff members of researchers and artists. IEM offers education to students in composition and computer music, sound engineering, sound design, contemporary music performance, and musicology. It is well connected to the University of Technology, the University of Graz as well as to the University of Applied Sciences Joanneum through three joint study programs.
The project results will be released through the Institute’s own Open CUBE and Signale concert series, as well as through various collaborations with international artists and institutions.
What we expect from applicants:
- A project proposal that adds new perspectives to the Institute’s activities and resonates well with the interests of IEM.
- Willingness to work on-site in Graz for the most part of the Residency.
- Willingness to exchange and share ideas, knowledge and results with IEM staff members and students, and engage in scholarly discussions.
- The ability to work independently within the Institute.
- A dissemination strategy as part of the project proposal that ensures the publication of the work, or documentation thereof, in a suitable format. This could be achieved for example through the release of media, journal or conference publication, a project website, or other means that help to preserve the knowledge gained through the Residency and make it available to the public.
- A public presentation as e.g. a concert or installation, which presents the results of the Residency.
What we offer:
- 24/7 access to the facilities of the IEM.
- Exchange with competent and experienced staff members.
- A desk in a shared office space for the entire period and access to studios including the CUBE , according to availability.
- Extensive access to the studios of the IEM during the period from July 1st until end of September.
- access to the IKOsahedron loudspeaker 
- access to the “Autoklavierspieler” 
- infrared motion tracking systems
- Regular possibilities for contact and exchange with peers from similar or other disciplines.
- Concert and presentation facilities (CUBE 30 channel loudspeaker concert space).
What we cannot offer to the successful applicant:
- We can not provide any housing.
- We also cannot provide continuous assistance and support, although the staff is generally willing to help where possible.
- We can not host artist duos or groups, because of spatial limitations.
- We can not offer any additional financial support for travel or material expenses.
Feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any questions.