Illegal to quote whole posts?

Just got a “[system] just now — Automatically removed quote of whole previous post.”

… which is true, but the “whole previous post” was one sentence.

We have gotten complaints before from e-mail users of the forum that it can be confusing for them to receive replies without a quote to establish context.

So I wonder if it’s necessary for “system” to be so pedantic as to automatically remove any “whole-post” quote that consists of about a dozen words :laughing:

hjh

1 Like

Just got a “[system] just now — Automatically removed quote of whole previous post.”

… which is true, but the “whole previous post” was one sentence.

We have gotten complaints before from e-mail users of the forum that it can be confusing for them to receive replies without a quote to establish context.

Yes, indeed. I guess a forum changes people’s behavior so that they are
not quoting anymore because they see the thread history on a webpage. As
an contributing email user I have no clue what some people are writing about in their
posts.
So thank you for quoting, albeit the quoting is not formatted in a way
to have a plain-text email client display it.
These are two of the larger nuisances of calling a forum a “replacement for a mailing
list”.
<\rant>

cheers, Peter

Hmmm… quoting a whole post - even if it’s one line - means that most forum users or email users who are viewing emails in a threaded view are just seeing that exact one line repeated twice with different formatting, before seeing what is probably just a one line response. Quoting something specific seems communicative, but I’m not sure what quoting an entire posts communicates.

I can see that this would be hard to follow if you were reading in email for without a threaded view, but my impression is that email clients with threaded message displays exist specifically to solve this problem?