Input sampling rate does not match the output?

I was exploring examples people posted using the Pluck Ugen, when suddenly I wasn’t getting any sound. I tried restarting supercollider and got this when I booted the server:

booting server ‘localhost’ on address: 127.0.0.1:57110
Found 0 LADSPA plugins
Number of Devices: 6
0 : “Built-in Microph”
1 : “Built-in Output”
2 : “Soundflower (2ch)”
3 : “Soundflower (64ch)”
4 : “ACE Sound Effects”
5 : “Loopback Audio”

ERROR: Input sample rate is 88200, but output is 44100. Mismatched sample rates are not supported. To disable input, set the number of input channels to 0.
could not initialize audio.
RESULT = 0

I have no idea how this happened, or how to fix it.

Hi.
I don’t know why this happened. Maybe if you post the code that caused the error we could try to figure out.
In the meantime you could try to set the sample rate manually like this: s.sampleRate = 44100

Have you tried going into System Preferences > Audio/MIDI Setup (assuming you are on a Mac), and fixing input and output sample rate there?

B

1 Like

Hi.

The solution for Bruno did it for me. My microphone was set to 44.1kHz, and i could change this to 48.0kHz in my Audio/MIDI Setup. (Built-in App from MacOS, command+space and then just type Audio Midi Setup).
Many many thanks.

Gurp

1 Like

In my case, I was wearing a bluetooth headphone that forces a 16000 sampling rate. Am I out of luck?

Welcome @kakyoism
You might still be able to use both input and output at that sample rate, if you set them to the same value (and/or set s.options.sampleRate appropriately).
A workaround trick for this on macOS is to create an aggregate device with your bluetooth headset and e.g. built-in output, can set the built-in output as the clock source, set the aggregate device to run at 44.1 or 48k and mark bluetooth device for “drift correction”. The bluetooth device may still be set as the first one (so it’s the first output) but the aggregate device will provide resampling for you (in that case you’d run scsynth at 44.1 or 48 and you’d either set that aggregate device as the default system input/output, or select it explicitly using s.options.device).
When the bluetooth headset works as both headphone and mic, it is limited to a low sampling rate, so the sound will be appropriately worse than using a regular (non-bt) playback devices.

Thank you :slight_smile: For those like me not experienced with MacOS:

Server.default.options.numInputBusChannels=0;
s.boot;

seems to work for me.

1 Like