Lilycollider or superfomus?

anyone still using these?

advice on getting one or both to work with 3.10?

thanks in advance

I have just started using superfomus recently (with 3.10/3.11).

Iā€™m on macOS and the issues I encountered were mostly with handling of paths (and installing fomus itself). Hereā€™s some notes:

• you need to install fomus - the installer fails but I was able to install by hand, I believe

• you need to make sure that fomus executable is in the PATH

"which fomus".unixCmd if this returns non-0, that means that SC canā€™t find fomus. Add its path (where you installed it) to the PATH env variable, in my case: "PATH".setenv("PATH".getenv ++ ":/usr/local/bin") and re-run "which fomus".unixCmd, which should now return a path to the fomus executable

• I believe that the files you are working on canā€™t have spaces in the whole path, so no spaces in folder names either (I worked around that by adding quotes in the class file, but I havenā€™t made a pull request to the quark repo yet)
  • finally, superfomus still doesnā€™t seem to handle some events well and if it fails itā€™s not clear whatā€™s wrong

I hope this helps!
Marcin

I recently went through a research spike on SuperCollider + FOMUS/Lily for a project. Let me see what I can rememberā€¦

• I ended up settling on this Lilypond quark: https://github.com/n-armstrong/lilypond for score generation. I was using this because there were a few notational things that SuperFOMUS wasnā€™t doing very well, and this one seemed more powerful. I donā€™t know notation really at all, so take that with a grain of salt :slight_smile:
  • I ran into pretty serious bugs between SuperFomus and the FOMUS implenentations I was using - scores with certain kinds of elements in them caused FOMUS to crash. This also pushed me in the direction of the above quark.
  • IIRC Fomus isnā€™t very stable with respect to itā€™s syntax, and I recall finding some things where SuperFOMUS output syntax that my build of FOMUS didnā€™t understand.
  • I donā€™t remember significant problems with running them in current version of SC. I have a few local changes to the lilypond library, but these were bug fixes / score generation issues - Iā€™m happy to share them if you run into trouble.
  • I produced some example scores via:
    [a] an ingested MIDI score,
    [b] modified by some Pattern stuff,
    [c] output using either SuperFOMUS or the LIlypond quark.
    These were a little dumbed down, e.g. no tempo changes, everything rounded to a 1/4 note, etc. I showed them to a person that was working with us on the scoring part of this project (see above, I donā€™t know music theory / notation well at allā€¦), and he said they were barely comprehensible and definitely wouldnā€™t work for the production setup (really professional ensemble, only 1-2 rehearsals kinda thing) :). So, I guess be aware that if youā€™re working with complex material, you might end up doing a LOT of hand tweaking of the output.

I have to agree that FOMUS breaks easily and I havenā€™t investigated further number of issues I have encountered (handling rests etc).
Fomus was my choice since I needed musicXML output and AFAIK LilyPond does not provide thatā€¦

And yes, absolutely, any score generation still needs manual cleanup, I donā€™t think thereā€™s really a way around it (especially for semi-complex and certainly for all complex notation tasks).

m

Thank You both. Will write with any problems. Doing something quite simple actually.

Apologies for bumping - has anyone had any luck building fomus recently ? I actually found a bug in boost while attempting to build it this weekend, and the way my system is set up, building older versions of boost that are ostensibly compatible with fomus is a non-starter.

Hoping against hope, but itā€™d be really nice, as superfomus fits much more nicely into my workflow than n-armstrongā€™s library.

i just tried building it locally with Boost 1.72 on Arch Linux, with lilypond and puredata extensions enabled. some nasty errors but this is the patch i ended up with: https://pastebin.com/cp07X55W

Amazing work - I got part of the way there (replacing some of the headers that you did). But figured I was sunk when I found a bug in boost.rational (bad enough that the #boost irc channel told me to submit an issue tracker!). Iā€™ll apply this patch and come back to this thread if I have any issues.

was the boost.rational bug the way it somehow causes iomanip operators to instantiate a bad form of numeric_limits? i didnā€™t look into that too much but it seemed really bizarre. i fixed that by simply calling the equivalent function on the iostream rather than using << std::fixed, for example. also, this was with gcc 10 where i believe the default setting is std=c++14.

@VIRTUALDOG - yes I believe thatā€™s where it was getting hung up - there were some easier issues to sort out (i.e. the changing of the location of library), but that one got me. I still havenā€™t had a chance to apply your patch as I had a major release at work this week, but Iā€™ll give it a crack today.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

Looks like this gets me basically all the way there, with two issues - one with an issue with ncurses/curses not being found (def an issue with my system and the paths in the makefile) and another one that seems more serious:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.2.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: ../../src/lib/.libs/libfomus.so: undefined reference to `fomus::fom_get_sval_up[abi:cxx11](int)'

This is defined in schedr.h / instrs.h so thereā€™s something wonky going on with the includes.

Did you run into this at all in your travels ? If not, no worries, I likely can figure it out, just donā€™t want to duplicate work in case you already wrestled with this.

hey! sorry, i didnā€™t ever see that issue while i was compiling. did you figure it out yet?

Still working through it. It looks like it an issue with linkage, rather than an issue with the code. Iā€™ve got some learning about C++ to do, apparently! :slight_smile:

If you have time, can you do a quick obj dump on the libfomus.so file ? The main problem I see is that the method is undefined, so something is getting wonky with the linking and I donā€™t know if itā€™s the ./configure configuration or what - knowing if you have the same representation of the object as me would be super useful.

$ objdump -T ./src/lib/.libs/libfomus.so | grep fom_get_sval_up
0000000000000000      D  *UND*  0000000000000000              _ZN5fomus15fom_get_sval_upB5cxx11Ei

i would try building again from a clean start; i just took a look and i donā€™t see any reason for this, so it is probably because youā€™ve been trying to build multiple times while changing the source tree. have you made any modifications besides the patch i posted?

whatā€™s your compiler?

This is the sequence of events:

1. tar xzvf fomus-0.1.18-alpha.tar.gz
  2. patch -p1 < Fomus\ 0.1.18-alpha+Boost\ 1.72\ build\ patches.txt
  3. ./configure --prefix=/home/murphy --with-ncurses
  4. make -j20

Compiler:

murphy@emergentprocess ~/Downloads/fomus-0.1.18-alpha
$ g++ --version
g++ (Gentoo 10.2.0 p1) 10.2.0
Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Iā€™ve also noticed that Iā€™ve needed to make a change to the makefile in the ā€˜exeā€™ directory to link to ā€œ-ltinfoā€ since that doesnā€™t seem to be in any of the linked libraries.

perhaps Iā€™m apply the patch wrong or should be using a different set of libraries or a different configure incantation ?

EDIT: fwiw, this project uses a lot of magic behind the scenes to generate the makefiles and that may be causing some of the issues. Iā€™m going to look to see if thereā€™s a gentoo overlay from a while back that built this, bc thereā€™s likely something that needs to change.

EDIT2: Iā€™ll try to build this on an Arch Box and see if I have better luck.

ah i get this error now. i was compiling in debug prior. let me see if i can find the issue.

ok, it wasnā€™t so bad, just the same function declared inline in one spot and non-inline in another :sweat_smile: . i have it compiling now in release mode with this patch:

Ah! you are much better at C++ than I am. :slight_smile: l was coming to post that I tried compiling this on my netbook and had the same issue.

Bingo - this works - offtopic, how were you able to track this down ? I shouldā€™ve been able to do this as I develop software in C++ for a living, but apparently thereā€™s a bit of a gap with applying the tooling/knowledge I have to unfamiliar codebases.

Additionally, Iā€™ve put the source into github after running a clang format on it and pasted it here: https://github.com/john-d-murphy/fomus

thank you very much for your help!