Linux Audio / Pipewire: SC is very quiet on my computer

I’m using pipewire for audio on Ubuntu. Through some unfortunate circumstance, something has caused my system to massive attenuate the output of scsynth. This is persistent between restarts and only affects SC.

How do I set amplitudes like this? There are some apps I’d like to turn down, but not this one!

(This question is x-posted to: sound - Some pipewire apps are quiet - Ask Ubuntu )

I’m not using Pipewire because jack works perfectly. So I can’t help you much, but here’s a few suggestions to locate the problem (until someone more competent arrives):

• is SC outputting the right volume ? You can check this using the server scope.

• when you say it only affects SC, does it means it doesn’t affect other sound softwares, like, for example, LMMS ? Apparently, Pipewire has two distinct inputs, one that simulates pulseaudio, one that simulates jack. One of the possibilities is that the jack simulation is set to low volume, which would mean that Pulseaudio apps like Firefox would have decent sound, but SC, LMMS, Ardour, etc, would have very low sound ?

• apparently, you can control volumes with pavucontrol or alsamixer or other things when using Pipewire. Maybe those could help you balance volumes / find where the low volume problem sits ?

EDIT: apparently, WirePlumber allows you to adjust PipeWire volumes.