Looking for recommendations on music made with SuperCollider

I would like to hear more live eletronics / mixed music made with SuperCollider. Any references, specially composers who share code as well ?

There is this list, but it is quite outdated, many broken links…

I improvised a handful of tracks with my flutist friend for her debut album - mostly live processing, all done in SC!

https://henrietteeilertsen.bandcamp.com/album/poems-for-flute

2 Likes

This has been my approach for the past 20 years or so, all using SuperCollider. Here are three different takes:

Lines on Black (the second piece on this album (starting at track 8)): Glossolalia/Lines on Black | Wet Ink Ensemble
score: Lines on Black

improvised duo:
Two Live Sets

or for something completely different (two silent-brass trombones controlling audio with descriptors):

Matrix for George Lewis

Sam

5 Likes

Maria W Horn is using Supercollider for her compositions, e.g. on this album:

There’s an episode of the Nuts And Bolts podcast, where she talks about that:
Nuts And Bolts S2E2 Maria W Horn

7 Likes

I like it. Every Cat Lamb piece I have played used electronics made in SC. Staying in Tuning Drone Land, Michael Harrison’s Harmonic Constellations (with Mari Kumura) is all done in SC.

3 Likes

If you’re in Seattle tonight: DXARTS Fall Concert: Real & Imagined Soundworlds

All are made with the Ambisonic Toolkit, and all but the Jeff Rice works are made with SuperCollider.

@Sam_Pluta, great pieces and resources!

Do you use lilypond for the scores ? Do you use any integration with SC and the scoring enviroment ?

I do not. That stuff is all a combination of Sibelius and Omnigraffle. Though, there is no way I am going to pay that Sibelius rental fee, so I am trying to figure out where to go from here as far as notation software is concerned.

I sometimes make algorithmically generated notes in SC and write a midi file using SimpleMidiFile, then import those into Sibelius or whatever, but no direct export to lilypond.

Newton made this a couple of years ago:

Not sure the state of that project.

Sam

4 Likes

We also made an whole album using SC and some custom software fo generating patterns from genetic data:

4 Likes

Hello,
2 live set impro with Tidal and SC:

and another project involving a friend, tidal, SC and some hardware:

1 Like

Hello, @Nikolas_Hofmann

Yes, whole album Antigone/Child is written in SC. The code is here: luka/antigone-child - antigone-child - Gitea

First rule of learning SuperCollider:

Ok, that’s actually kinda five rules. (thanks @t36s )

I would suggest try @elifieldsteel videos. If you want to work through somewhat dense material (and stop often while watching), just start with his Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPYzvS8A_rTaNDweXe6PX4CXSGq4iEWYC

If it’s too dense, you can look at one of his live streams that he did for students - they seem to pace along in a much more digestible tempo: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPYzvS8A_rTZmJZjUtMG6GJ2QkLUEaY4Q

The new Erstwhile record uses SuperCollider. The artist “/f” primarily uses SuperCollider for most of her music too, “recovered files” being probably my personal favorite of hers. Really great improvisational sound collage-y stuff: recovered files | /f

1 Like

The debut album from experimental metal band YAWN features a bunch of live processing and sound design done in SC:

It’s also probably worth mentioning that we also use SC in concerts to synchronize and play click tracks, backing tracks, our light show, and MIDI messages that control our digital amplifiers:

YAWN - Chaos (Youtube link)

3 Likes

experimental metal, who knew?

\m/

(…)

1 Like

This is great.

Horse Lords has also been known to use SC:

The whole video is great, but SC arrives around 15 minutes in.

Sam

2 Likes

whoa this is great. i’m guessing this one was also made in SC. do you have any more info on the making of the harmonic constellations one?

1 Like

Hey, all my released records as Forces are made almost completely with SC. The newest one “Inertia” is pretty much 100% SC. In “Epoch” and “Climate Denial Machine” I have couple Tidal tracks among SC ones. “Plastisphere” and “Dynamics” are 100% SC. You can find the collected streams of my records at my Bandcamp.

Ps. I have an upcoming record made last Summer at EMS Stockholm, which I made with the digital synths of the so called “90s Wagon” synth rack + SC. It should be released on the Slovakian label Mappa soonish I think!

7 Likes

Forces : This is really mind blowing !

1 Like

Thank you so much! <3

1 Like