Looking for resources about Binaural Spatialisation workflow

Hi everyone,

I’d like to get familiar with using binaural spatialized audio.
I’m not talking about how supercollider implements it but above all how to use it in general, in Mix situations.
Obviously I would then like to explore this through in the context of algorithmic composition.
Is there anyone expert in the field who can point me to resources on how to make music for records or films or video games correctly?
What are the standard procedures on which to start this journey?

Thanks in advance.

I saw these projects:

But I was thinking at something like this also:

As you mentioned video games, the majority of video game developers use either FMOD or Wwise. They are not open source but they are free for non-commercial use, and provide graphical tools that would give you a good start for messing around with spatial audio. If you plan on doing any kind of spatial sound in the game industry, those tools are pretty essential to know. (Disclaimer: I worked for Dolby for several years, and worked a bit on Dolby Atmos/Wwise integration.)

1 Like

I’ll check Dolby Atmos, because I’ve heard about this thing several times, but I’ve never paid any interest before.

thanks!

One thing they will not tell you is that the Dolby Atmos Rendered will work with any daw. All the examples use Pro Tools and they even say it requires Pro Tools, but that isn’t true. It might also work with SC if you send the correct timecode information. I haven’t tried. But I got really nice results with Reaper.

That being said, if I were working in SC, I would use ambisonics, either with Ambisonics Toolkit or by controlling the IEM plugins with VSTPlugin. Both of those are very robust projects.

Sam

1 Like

I can only second Sam! Personally, I do all my ambisonics stuff with VSTPlugin + IEM plugins, but I am a bit biased, of course :slight_smile:.

VSTPlugin even comes with a simple HOA guide (Guides/HOA_IEM.schelp) that shows how to spatialize multiple sound sources, add some nice reverb and play the whole thing to your headphones with a binaural decoder.

2 Likes

Links to ATK:

1 Like