I’m making an effect chain, nothing complex, however I see a few options and I would like to know what would you do / other approaches:
- pros: I can move synths around freely, looks like the most efficient option overall
- cons: I have to manage synths, busses and groups myself. + reimplement some preset system
- pros: I don’t need to care about busses, groups and routing. Can use ProxyPreset for presets.
- cons: if I need multiple chains, duplicating ndefs has always made me sad because it creates multiple temporary synthdefs. ProxyPreset is ok, but I have to anyway coordinate multiple preset objects, which feels not so far from reimplementing a preset system. I need to implement a system also for recording on/off state of each fx.
- pros: the chain is a single object, which can be easily presetted, and stores on/off states.
- cons: can’t keep any parameter out of the preset system, which doesn’t respect some multichannel controls I have for some fxs… and moving fxs around seems not to be possible without destroying the old ones and create new ones (which creates a new def also)
I love to think that this is the price for not having “mainstream” strategies even for what I consider largely mainstream application. I respect it and embrace it, but would also like to find a solution that is as reusable as possible for this!