SCLOrkSynths is a new Quark that collects over one hundred SynthDefs (some original, some found online) with accompanying Pattern demos of each. Initially made for use by the Santa Clara Laptop Orchestra (SCLOrk), and now we are happy to share with everyone who may find it useful.
- You can browse and audition each SynthDef through an easy-to-use graphical interface.
- Patterns are organized by banks (bass, percussion, pads, miscellaneous, etc)
- There is a handy button in the GUI (“show me the code”) that opens a copy of the SynthDef and Pattern demo code into a new SuperCollider Document for you to edit and experiment with.
- Growing collection of SynthDefs (we hope to add more every Summer) – & everyone is invited to contribute
- Author credits are given as metadata within the SynthDef code (a few are missing or are unknown as of yet – if you know the author of any SynthDef that is not credited, please let me know)
- Includes helpfile with all basic info to get started
Special shout out to my student Josh Mitchell who worked hard over two Summer internships to put a lot of this together, including writing many of the original SynthDefs in there.
We appreciate any feedback. If you find this useful in your own work or in your teaching, I would appreciate if you’d let me know at some point.
EDIT: Installation instructions:
Then recompile class library (or restart SuperCollider), and start browsing synths through the GUI: