Niche warning (nightly flucoma and/or nightly sc - change of behaviour)

Dear very few users who run either the latest SC nightlies and/or the latest FluCoMa nightlies

You will have noticed that everything crashes since SC upgraded its version of Boost, if you didn’t upgrade your FluCoMa. Or if you did update the FluCoMa (like me) and didn’t upgrade to an SC-3-14 younger than 3 weeks… yeah, we need to hack there, and that is bad, and we’re sorry.

In all cases, since most people use the official SC (tip of ‘main’ branch) we decided to build FluCoMa against that from now on, nightlies and releases. That will simplify most people’s use cases.

We might provide 2 sets of binaries, but that is a pain to manage and (a small set of users) to download. We know all hell will break lose when SC 3.14 will be released, but we’ll cross that bridge at the river. Depending on its content, it might break a lot of plugins, or just us. I hope for the former, so we’re not alone :slight_smile:

p

4 Likes

I hope I’ll finally have time to add the necessary plugin API additions so that plugins like FluCoMa don’t need to resort to internal, unsupported APIs.

Side note: In my AOO extension I’m using a dedicated UDP socket as a reply channel so I can send arbitrary replies back to client, see sc/classes/Aoo.sc · sc · aoo / aoo · GitLab and https://git.iem.at/aoo/aoo/-/blob/sc/sc/src/Aoo.cpp?ref_type=heads#L519-528. Of course, this is just a terrible workaround and we really need a proper API function for this purpose.

3 Likes

oh that solution smells funky, I’m sure @weefuzzy will like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes