No sound input on SuperCollider with emacs on Macos 12 Monterey M1 macbook?

Hello,

running SC 3.12.1 (latest version), on a Macbook Air with MacOS 12.0.1 and emacs, I get no audio input - while I get audio input when running the IDE version. I tested this by opening a scope
(Server.default.scope) and watching the input on audio channel 2. Then I also tested it with code such as:

{ DelayC.ar(In.ar(2), 1, 1, 0.01) }.play;

In both of the above tests, audio input was visible (on scope) and audible (with code example) on the IDE version of SC. However when running the same examples on sclang from emacs, there was no audio input.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Iannis Zannos

Hello Iannis, perhaps a permissions issue? I believe SC needs to request permission from the OS to access the microphone at some point, you check that. Regards, Tom

Hi Tom, quite right. SC needs to request permission from the OS to access the microphone.
However, how does one do that on Emacs?
I must have done it recently on SuperCollider IDE and it persists for future versions. It does not persist however for scsynth when booted from Emacs (or command line).

Does anyone have an idea about this?

Thanks

Iannis Zannos

PS: The problem has been discussed and solved, here

It requires either starting emacs from the terminal or using an extra tool to allow emacs to request permissions from macOS.

Tom, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Iannis Z.