Problems with simple compiled version

Hello

So in order to get Apple’s debugger (or LLVD for that matter) to link while I develop, I need to compile SC from scratch. I followed the very clear and detailed instructions here after checking out the tag at 3.13.0 because it is the latest public version. After a little churning, I get the build succeeded message, hurray!

But. Doubleclicking on the app in ./Install, I get an instacrash - happily I’m in RelWithDebInfo so here goes:

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace DYLD, Code 1 Library missing
Library not loaded: ‘@loader_path/…/…/…/QtQuickWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtQuickWidgets’
Referenced from: ‘/Users/USER/Documents/*/SuperCollider.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebEngineWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWebEngineWidgets’
Reason: tried: ‘’ (no such file), ‘’ (no such file), ‘’ (no such file)
(terminated at launch; ignore backtrace)

it seems that following the instructions à la lettre it finds QT5 all right to compile but not enough to run? Or have I missed something?

(the good news is that the server is functional so I can run that and debug my plugins :slight_smile: )

Any pointers of what is wrong with me, or the read me, welcome.

p

I’d try building without QtWebEngine: cmake .. -DSC_USE_QTWEBENGINE=OFF.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that, and now the crash report is more cryptic:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x7ff811eecffe __pthread_kill + 10
1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x7ff811f231ff pthread_kill + 263
2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x7ff811e6ed24 abort + 123
3 QtCore 0x10ff02019 0x10fee8000 + 106521
4 QtCore 0x1101c3096 QMessageLogger::fatal(char const*, …) const + 202
5 QtGui 0x1104fde6d QGuiApplicationPrivate::createPlatformIntegration() + 7021
6 QtGui 0x1104fde8b QGuiApplicationPrivate::createEventDispatcher() + 27
7 QtCore 0x1100d26f3 QCoreApplicationPrivate::init() + 1171
8 QtGui 0x1104f8699 QGuiApplicationPrivate::init() + 57
9 QtWidgets 0x10f93cc8a QApplicationPrivate::init() + 26
10 SuperCollider 0x10ee3c1e7 0x10ee34000 + 33255
11 dyld 0x116fb952e start + 462

(I have found and documented a way to work without the full comping process here using only a custom scsynth but it would be good to find what is happening I reckon for other people so if you want I’m happy to continue to try to get it to work)

ok for shits and giggles I’ve compiled with and without the -DSC_USE_QTWEBENGINE=OFF flag from the tip of main and I still get the respective bugs.

My apologies if you already knew this, but -D settings persist in the build directory. Turning off QtWebEngine is cmake .. -DSC_USE_QTWEBENGINE=OFF, turning it back on requires cmake .. -DSC_USE_QTWEBENGINE=ON. Unfortunately I’m not sure how to troubleshoot the issue :frowning:

I know, I even completely deleted the content of the build folder to avoid any gremlins… to no avail. If I’m the only one with issues then let’s not lose time on this - I’m functional with the downloaded IDE and compiling just the server to troubleshoot

I had problems on macOS when I had both Qt5 and Qt6 (aka the default Qt) installed. I believe homebrew Qt6 is linked to system locations by default, in contrary to Qt5.
If you indeed have Qt6 installed, I’d try to unlink it (brew unlink qt6), clear the build directory, then cmake configure and build again.

thanks @MarcinP - brew list tells me I have qt@5 and not qt6 or anything like that… I just reinstalled the system on this machine, it is super new, so it is a good test for such instructions I reckon :slight_smile:

@tremblap sorry for the late reply - do you still have this problem?

I remember having the same problem recently on macOS - it compiled but I couldn’t launch b/c of some Qt error.

It turned out I managed to have 2 versions of Qt5 on my system via brew - check brew doctor and consider reinstalling qt via brew reinstall qt@5 - at least this fixed it for me.

I was still having the issue with the tip of develop and reinstalled qt@5 and now I have:

Interpreter has crashed or stopped forcefully. [Exit code: 6]

so this is progress :slight_smile:

Gotcha. I think the “interpreter has crashed” is a recent known issue: macOS build fails due to libsndfile linking · Issue #6104 · supercollider/supercollider · GitHub
I’m looking into it…

1 Like

in the meantime, I’m compiling at the flag 3.13.0 post qt5 rebuild (after deleting the whole build folder content) and I get the same message.

I hope this helps.

@tremblap there’s a workaround for libsndfile and the interpreter crashing - please see the linked GH issue. After you rebuild libsndfile in homebrew, it should work, I think.

Hey @MarcinP

So I am trying it but with messages in the terminal like

Warning: building from source is not supported!
You’re on your own. Failures are expected so don’t create any issues, please!

it didn’t feel super inviting nor safe :slight_smile:

But seriously, I’m sad to report that this doesn’t fix my problem. But please, forget me if I’m the only one! I am now resigning the compiled from git and it links to the debugger.

p

This worked for me (develop, macos 13.6).

Did homebrew post any warnings when you ran
brew reinstall libsndfile --build-from-source ?

no strange messages, and I deleted the build folder content, and I tried from 3.13.0 and from tip of develop

don’t worry about me. I’ll survive

1 Like