Problems with simple compiled version


So in order to get Apple’s debugger (or LLVD for that matter) to link while I develop, I need to compile SC from scratch. I followed the very clear and detailed instructions here after checking out the tag at 3.13.0 because it is the latest public version. After a little churning, I get the build succeeded message, hurray!

But. Doubleclicking on the app in ./Install, I get an instacrash - happily I’m in RelWithDebInfo so here goes:

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Termination Reason: Namespace DYLD, Code 1 Library missing
Library not loaded: ‘@loader_path/…/…/…/QtQuickWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtQuickWidgets’
Referenced from: ‘/Users/USER/Documents/*/’
Reason: tried: ‘’ (no such file), ‘’ (no such file), ‘’ (no such file)
(terminated at launch; ignore backtrace)

it seems that following the instructions à la lettre it finds QT5 all right to compile but not enough to run? Or have I missed something?

(the good news is that the server is functional so I can run that and debug my plugins :slight_smile: )

Any pointers of what is wrong with me, or the read me, welcome.


I’d try building without QtWebEngine: cmake .. -DSC_USE_QTWEBENGINE=OFF.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that, and now the crash report is more cryptic:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue:

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue:
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x7ff811eecffe __pthread_kill + 10
1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x7ff811f231ff pthread_kill + 263
2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x7ff811e6ed24 abort + 123
3 QtCore 0x10ff02019 0x10fee8000 + 106521
4 QtCore 0x1101c3096 QMessageLogger::fatal(char const*, …) const + 202
5 QtGui 0x1104fde6d QGuiApplicationPrivate::createPlatformIntegration() + 7021
6 QtGui 0x1104fde8b QGuiApplicationPrivate::createEventDispatcher() + 27
7 QtCore 0x1100d26f3 QCoreApplicationPrivate::init() + 1171
8 QtGui 0x1104f8699 QGuiApplicationPrivate::init() + 57
9 QtWidgets 0x10f93cc8a QApplicationPrivate::init() + 26
10 SuperCollider 0x10ee3c1e7 0x10ee34000 + 33255
11 dyld 0x116fb952e start + 462

(I have found and documented a way to work without the full comping process here using only a custom scsynth but it would be good to find what is happening I reckon for other people so if you want I’m happy to continue to try to get it to work)

ok for shits and giggles I’ve compiled with and without the -DSC_USE_QTWEBENGINE=OFF flag from the tip of main and I still get the respective bugs.

My apologies if you already knew this, but -D settings persist in the build directory. Turning off QtWebEngine is cmake .. -DSC_USE_QTWEBENGINE=OFF, turning it back on requires cmake .. -DSC_USE_QTWEBENGINE=ON. Unfortunately I’m not sure how to troubleshoot the issue :frowning:

I know, I even completely deleted the content of the build folder to avoid any gremlins… to no avail. If I’m the only one with issues then let’s not lose time on this - I’m functional with the downloaded IDE and compiling just the server to troubleshoot

I had problems on macOS when I had both Qt5 and Qt6 (aka the default Qt) installed. I believe homebrew Qt6 is linked to system locations by default, in contrary to Qt5.
If you indeed have Qt6 installed, I’d try to unlink it (brew unlink qt6), clear the build directory, then cmake configure and build again.

thanks @MarcinP - brew list tells me I have qt@5 and not qt6 or anything like that… I just reinstalled the system on this machine, it is super new, so it is a good test for such instructions I reckon :slight_smile: