Question about Multichannels / Stereo

Hi
hi, I’m a beginner, I’m trying to make a normal texture with noise that is modulated between channels 1 and two.

// Texture synth noisr
(
SynthDef(\textureNoise, {
    var noise = PinkNoise.ar(0.1);  // Generatore di rumore rosa con frequenza di taglio di 0.1 Hz
    var filtered = RLPF.ar(noise, LFNoise1.kr(0.1, 800, 1200), 0.1);  // Filtro passa-basso che evolve lentamente

Out.ar(0, filtered);  // Invio del segnale filtrato all'uscita audio
}).add;
)

// start synth
x = Synth.new(\textureNoise);

But I can’t understand why on this code I can only listen to the left channel. I know I’m wrong about something but I can’t understand.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi, welcome to the forums!

You are telling Out.ar to use output channel 0, the first output. The variable filtered contains a Ugen with one channel, thus it will only make sound on one channel.

If you expand the amount of channels given to Out.ar by an Array then it will automatically expand how many channels it sends audio to, like this

Out.ar(0, [filtered, filtered]);

Even though you just have a 0 in its output argument.

A common way is to use Pan2.ar, which is a stereo Ugen, to pan a mono sound

Out.ar(0, Pan2.ar(filtered, 0) ); // the last 0 is panning from -1.0 to 1.0

Balance2.ar and Splay.ar are also widely used, its well worth to look at their helpfiles.

1 Like

Thanks a lot:)
if you were too kind, I’m having a lot of fun with supercollider :slight_smile: in fact I’m using it on one of my electroacoustic compositions:)

:hugs: