Ramp to trig abstraction

hey, i have worked on some abstractions from the gen~ book. One is this ramp2trig abstraction. Would you think my approach lines up with the gen~ patch?

(
var rampToTrig = { |phase|
	var difference = HPZ1.ar(phase);
	var sum = LPZ1.ar(phase);
	var trig = (difference / sum).abs > 0.5;
	Trig1.ar(trig, SampleDur.ir);
};

{
	var plotScale = 400;
	var bpm = 120 * plotScale;
	var clockRate = bpm / 60;
	var beatsPerMeasure = 4;
	var measurePhaseRate = clockRate / beatsPerMeasure;
	var stepsPerMeasure = 8;

//var phase = (Phasor.ar(0, measurePhaseRate * SampleDur.ir) - SampleDur.ir).wrap(0, 1);
	var phase = LFSaw.ar(measurePhaseRate, 1).linlin(-1, 1, 0, 1);
	var trigA = rampToTrig.((phase * stepsPerMeasure).wrap(0, 1));
	var trigB = Changed.ar((phase * stepsPerMeasure).ceil);
	[phase, trigA, trigB];
}.plot(0.01);
)

grafik

I have also compared it to a Changed / ceil approach, they look the same on the plot. But when being played the wrapping of the phase when using rampToTrig seems to drift away from the master Phasor and the Changed / ceil approach more precise. Does this make any sense? But probably I have spent too much time with this and cant hear it anymore…
Problem with the Changed / ceil approach is, you cant get triggers from a ramp when you dont multiply the phase by some ramp division. I thought of one universal ramp to trig function.

Changed with rhythm:

Changed with regular pulse:

Changed with bpm synced ratchets:

rampToTrig with rhythm:

ramptToTrig with regular pulse:

rampToTrig with bpm synced ratchets:

And one additional question: is there a way to start a Phasor exactly at the same phase like LFSaw.ar(freq, 1).linlin(-1, 1, 0, 1), otherwise you dont get the initial trigger at the start, and dont want to add Impulse.ar(0);

Why not just do this:

var rampToTrig = { |phase|
        var last = Delay1.ar(phase);
        Trig1.ar(((phase-last)/(phase+last)).abs>0.5, SampleDur.ir)
    };

Seems like it is exactly the same code.

Sam

wonderful, i should think more with Delay1 when working with these single sample stuff :slight_smile: would you also know how to offset the phase of a Phasor to start at an equal phase compared to LFSaw.ar(freq, 1).linlin(-1, 1, 0, 1) and keep the phase relationship? I would like to be able to reset the main phasor and the rampToTrig function nicely gives an initial trigger when using the LFSaw approach, to trigger Demand Ugens.

grafik

when using (Phasor.ar(reset, rate * SampleDur.ir) - SampleDur.ir).wrap(0, 1); instead, the trigger is too late to trigger Demand Ugens.

grafik