Recommended synonyms or replaceable terms for unit generator

Dear users,

What would your suggestions be if you should rewrite the term “unit generator” with other words?

I am asking it to find an easily understandable translation for my mother tongue. I tried many times, but they always contain problems. Some retranslated expressions into English from my translation into Korean are as follows (In my mother tongue, adjectives are usually avoided in compound expressions. Thus the first word of a two-word term is typically a noun, not an adjective.):

• unit generator
  • single generator
  • component generator
  • individual generator
  • independent generator
  • member generator
  • synthesis terminal (this is not of mine, but one uses it.)

I think the literally-translated term ‘unit generator’ is the best one, but the problem is the word ‘unit’ is strongly connected with measurement units in my mother tongue.
(The third meaning in the Oxford Dictionary of English comes as the first meaning in the Standard Korean Dictionary; the first meaning in the ODoE as the second in the SKD.)

The definitions in macOS built-in Oxford Dictionary of English:

1. an individual thing or person regarded as single and complete but which can also form an individual component of a larger or more complex whole.

2. a device that has a specified function, especially one forming part of a complex mechanism.

3. a quantity chosen as a standard in terms of which other quantities may be expressed.

4. the number one.

I think the “unit” in “unit generator” is related to that first meaning - it’s the smallest possible increment or operation, it’s a single thing that is complete by itself. You might think about Korean equivalents words like “atomic”, or other words related to “smallest possible thing” or “indivisible”?

1 Like

I think the “unit” in “unit generator” is related to that first meaning

I think, too.

“atomic”, or other words related to “smallest possible thing” or “indivisible”?

My thought has never been reached there. Thank you for your great opinion!

perhaps “element” would be a good substitute for unit - in chemistry for example elements are the smallest components. “graph element” “synthesis element” “generator element”

1 Like

Thank you for your great suggestion! I also will consider it!