Recreating a sample?

I’m sorry if I’m asking inane questions, I’m just firing up sc again and really enjoying it

I’m curious if there is a way to take a sample , like a tambourine and create different variations of that sample, to create a sound as if someone is lightly playing the tambourine. With all the randomness of a real performance.
I know about round robining a folder of samples, I don’t mean that, I mean, the newer stuff like FluCoMa or Rave. Is it possible to do this yet?
To make a sample malleable I guess.

Thank you

Filtering is the simplest method.

FluCoMa is awesome, and I am by no means an expert, but my understanding is that you’d want hundreds of samples (or more) to train the system on.

Micro-variations on a sample – this is an area of active research (I attended ICMC 2023 and there was a paper about this). But I don’t have the citation handy (traveling on holiday, for obvious reasons the ICMC '23 proceedings book didn’t make the cut for luggage :laughing: ) so I’d have to look it up a couple days later.

This isn’t a SC-specific question btw – totally fine to ask about it here, but it’s quite likely that the research is being done outside of SC (and those solutions wouldn’t run in real-time in SC).

hjh

1 Like

Synplant 2 implements a similar tech. You could try using that with VstPlugin within SC.

2 Likes

Yes, very cool. As James says. Early days I guess. It’s the future.