Rest in patterns

Its seems typing in Rest() is a bit much, For banging out quick patterns; What about a period having a set time that is small, but can quickly be made longer by adding more with multiple periods like

(0.2, . , 0.3, … , 0.7, . , 0.6, …, )
It’s quick. Has a visual feedback that doesn’t take up too much space. Just a novice’s idea. Thanks

Setting the duration of a single . seems the key challenge – how would you do that?

Btw this might be a job for a preprocessor function.

hjh

one hack might be to use negative numbers: dur: Pseq([0.2, 0.3, -0.2, 0.3]) vs dur: Pseq([0.2, 0.3, Rest(0.2), 0.3])

saves 6 characters and easier to read to boot

also fwiw its no longer recommended but Symbols in any Pbind key create rests ie: midinote: Pseq([20, 20, \r, 20])

I was thinking a 64th rest, dot. Maybe make a special Pattern class just for that, for now , like Pbeat. So it doesn’t break anything, it’s meant for quick beat making , easy visual on what the beat might look like. Just for standard kind of beats. I like to do that, then get nuts with extra stuff. Ironically i find the simple beats like a break, are the hardest to bang out quickly,

Since you have complete programming language at your finger tips, you can build something that suits your needs. Here’s an example from sccode: drum sequencer to drive external midi device or software like ableton

3 Likes

That is very cool. I see what you mean