Sc3-plugins on Linux

Hey all,

Has anyone had success getting sc3-plugins to build and install on Linux?
I’m able to build them and make install works but for some reason SC just isn’t seeing them.
Always getting the “UGen ‘SawDPW’ not installed.” type errors for any sc3-plugins UGens.

Maybe I’m missing something. I tried to set the MAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to a few different options (/usr/local, ~/.local/) and it, indeed, places files correctly in there but no luck.

Anyone else have this issue?

I’m running Ubuntu Studio 19.04 and it is a fresh install. I’m running SC 3.10.0. For reference I followed the instructions here: https://supercollider.github.io/sc3-plugins/

On my Ubuntu system, plug-ins go into /usr/local/lib/SuperCollider/plugins, e.g.:

/usr/local/lib/SuperCollider/plugins/StkInst.so

The server should be looking in this location by default. It’s probably not looking in other locations by default (except maybe the user extension directory? I forget). So if the .so files are being installed somewhere else, the server wouldn’t find them.

If you have to use a nonstandard location, you can also set s.options.ugenPluginsPath – but in this case, the server would load plug-ins only from the given locations, not the default ones. So you would have to include the default locations in the value. That is, it’s easier just to install sc3-plugins into the normal place.

Are you sure it’s getting all the files? You said it “places files” under CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX – this should include .sc class library files, .schelp documentation and .so binary libraries. But these are in different locations. I have /usr/local and I get:

• .sc e.g. /usr/local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/StkInst/classes/StkInst.sc
  • .schelp e.g. /usr/local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/**packagename**/HelpSource/Classes/Stk.schelp
  • .so e.g. /usr/local/lib/SuperCollider/plugins/StkInst.so

So, if you’re looking under /usr/local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins only, you wouldn’t be verifying whether the binaries are installed.

hjh

ok, I found the issue. My local install was running off of the #develop branch since I was working earlier on some things.

Switched to the 3.10 branch and all is well.

Thanks for the help and the information about where those binaries are James!