Skipping audio in livestream

So I have some SuperCollider code running on a remote Ubuntu instance, and I’m getting pretty consistent “skips” in the sound. You can listen here: autoAmbient - YouTube. I’m not sure what’s causing it at this point. I’ll post some pictures of my configuration below.

CPU and memory utilization is not near peaking

qjackctl config

the sample rate is actually 24000 according to the qjackctl messages window:

OBS Studios
sample rate 48khz
video bitrate 1000kbps (youtube recommended)
audio bitrate 160

I’m running the code in this file:

Any ideas on how I can remedy this skipping sound would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Michael

So I have some SuperCollider code running on a remote Ubuntu instance,
and I’m getting pretty consistent “skips” in the sound. You can listen
here: https://youtu.be/fMJApCVduZc. I’m not sure what’s causing it at
this point. I’ll post some pictures of my configuration below.

There are a few things in your JACK setup that I find a little odd.

qjackctl config

Why are you using dummy as driver? I must confess I don’t know what it
does but honestly I’ve never touched this setting and since I have a USB
interface I always left that at alsa. But even without my interface,
using the internal one, alsa always seemed to be the right choice.

As you’re using the dummy driver you can’t select in- and output devices. Your in and output devices should be listed under Output Device resp. Input Device under the Advanced tab or under Interface in the Parameters tab (often something like hw:PCH or hw:0).
What also differs from the setup on my machine are the settings for wait, port maximum, timeout, which I haven’t touched at all on my machine (left at default).

What I have set, nevertheless, is a value for priority, currently 85. This means JACK should run with a higher priority which in turn might reduce “skips” (if they’re caused by audio).

I don’t have much experience with OBS but since many screencasts made these days are made using OBS I’m pretty sure you should be able to stream audio at 48 KHz without bigger hiccups.

1 Like

Why are you using dummy as driver?

I’m using dummy because this is a remote machine that has no actual audio devices connected to it. If I attempt to use any other driver it gives me vague errors. because I’m not actually outputting real sound on this device I don’t actually need to use a “real” driver (I think?). In any case I have another stream that uses the same driver that is currently working smoothly.

As you’re using the dummy driver you can’t select in- and output devices. Your in and output devices should be listed under Output Device resp. Input Device under the Advanced tab or under Interface in the Parameters tab (often something like hw:PCH or hw:0 ).

I’m using the “connect” kit to route the digital signal from supercollider through to OBS instead of the settings here.

What I have set, nevertheless, is a value for priority , currently 85. This means JACK should run with a higher priority which in turn might reduce “skips” (if they’re caused by audio).

Interesting. I’ll try this setting.

I don’t have much experience with OBS but since many screencasts made these days are made using OBS I’m pretty sure you should be able to stream audio at 48 KHz without bigger hiccups.

The reason I’m toying with lower sample rates is to save money on computing power/lean in to the “lo-fi” feel. One of my concerns though is that I’m mixing different sample/bit rates etc which might be causing these skips.

Thank you for the in-depth response.

dummy driver port connection kit - to sate your potential curiosity

1 Like

Thanks for the in-depth reply :wink:
I can understand your motivation, though I don’t understand how the dummy can help with audio. You’re running SC on your local machine, right? Even if your just streaming audio (how?) and don’t listen, you’re actually generating a signal. Otherwise you wouldn’t need JACK, would you?

Nevertheless this little post is a bit “oldish” I could imagine the problems about the dummy driver still persist: jackd dummy driver clock

I guess I’m missing something here…