Software Musical Instrument Design With Machine Learning and Machine Listening Presentation 10/21

Free online event related to Supercollider

Software Musical Instrument Design With Machine Learning and Machine Listening with Sam Pluta

[ACM Chicago] 10/21/20 6PM Central Time

Abstract:
Much of my recent work has been exploring Machine Learning and Machine Listening techniques to create highly expressive software instruments for musical performance. In this talk I will outline two such instruments: a Silent-Brass and trombone-based instrument that analyses the signal of an acoustic trombone and controls digital synthesis using data captured from the trombone analysis and a multi-mapped neural network-based instrument, which maps small dimensional controller spaces to large dimensional sonic spaces. I will share my code and the design features of these instruments and also play music made with these instruments, including my 2017 composition Matrix (for George Lewis) and also a solo live performance.

Sam Pluta is a composer and electronics performer whose work explores the intersections between instrumental forces, reactive computerized sound worlds, traditionally notated scores, and improvisation. Since 2009, Sam has served as Technical Director and composing member of Wet Ink Ensemble. He has also received commissions and written music for groups like Yarn/Wire, Ensemble Dal Niente, International Contemporary Ensemble, Mivos Quartet, Mantra Percussion, Spektral Quartet, TAK,and the New York Philharmonic. Laptop improvisation is a core part of Pluta’s artistic practice. Performing on his custom software instrument, he has toured internationally with Rocket Science, the Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble, and the Peter Evans Ensemble. Sam appears as a composer and performer on over thirty albums of new music and jazz, many of which are released on his label, Carrier Records. Prof Pluta is currently Assistant Professor of Music at the University of Chicago, where he teaches composition and directs the CHIME Studio.