Start SC server in C#

Hey there! I am interested in developing a SC plugin for VVVV (vvvv.org) and already found this piece of documentation (Server Command Reference | SuperCollider 3.12.2 Help) to control the server once it’s booted.

But - does anybody know how to boot the server in C#? Is this possible?

Greets!

1 Like

The same as sclang: start scsynth as a seperate process with the appropriate command line arguments.

I’m not a C# developer, but here’s some info I’ve found: c# - How can I start a process in the background? - Stack Overflow

StartInfo.Arguments lets you set the arguments.

hello @chk nice to see you here!

is this project alive ?

however this is a very first answer to your question:

2 Likes

Heyhey! Yes, still alive and going to come back to this in the next months. :slight_smile: Already also got it running like you described, thanks a lot anyway.

Here is also the thread from the other side, which contains an example how to use the Executor node to send supercollider code into the running background process from vvvv gamma.

What are you fiddling with?

1 Like

I have the ambition to implement something like Supriya for gamma, recently I was trying to sonify data and I feel like SC is the appropriate tool in my case. This task may probably exceed my programming skills but it will be an interesting journey for sure.
However as you may imagine, I got stuck on building proper OSC messages and debug them and even before this step tbh, I wasn’t even capable to get any response back on 57120 port, no matter what I do (for instance I was trying the /status command). But no luck so far and no clue why this happens…
Anyways, I ll keep you updated, I do my baby steps on SC so it will get me some time till I have something interesting in my hands. :smiley:

I assume, you will run into the same problems as I will, so maybe you could check the topics that I opened on this forum :slight_smile:

Starting with this:

1 Like

Or this:

1 Like

Thanks a lot @chk it happened yesterday night to check these and found them already really useful! Atm I am trying to avoid using sclang and focus only on the server (scsynth), ideally I would like to avoid the interpreter completely at the end but for now it is extremely useful indeed.

1 Like