SuperCollider @ MAAT museum Lisbon

Hi guys,

a like to share with us the last project I’ve been part of: it’s a project by dotdotdot called “EARTH BITS – Sensing the Planetary” composed of animated videos, dataviz, a digital wallpaper and an interactive installation for the MAAT museum in Lisbon.

I’m particularly proud of this last aspect which is an interactive console called the “CO2 mixer”.
It is made entirely of custom electronics and mechanical parts and allows users to enter data on their nutritional and mobility habits, among others.

These data are used to give life to a dynamic data viz (made in VVV) and a generative soundtrack (thanks to SuperCollider). I’ve worked also on the SC code taking inspiration from the Laurie Spiegel “music mouse” and its web counterpart by Tero Parviainen (here’s the article about it on the maat extended).

If you want to get a taste of the sounds and graphics of the console you can see the performance that my colleague Jib and I recorded remotely at our studio.
The performance was broadcast live during the installation’s opening event and preceded by a presentation by the museum’s curator.

If you’re impatient you can jump straight to the performance here :stuck_out_tongue:

let me know what do you think about it.
Thank you for you feedback