Supercollider won't boot

I keep trying to boot supercollider and it won’t run.
I’ve tried booting the server from the menu, specifying my interface with s.boot; and it won’t boot when I try to run superdirt.

I keep getting the same message.

Booting server ‘localhost’ on address 127.0.0.1:57110.
Exception in World_New: boost::interprocess::intermodule_singleton initialization failed
Server ‘localhost’ exited with exit code -1073741819.

I’ve tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and even tried installing an older version and also tried the 32 bit version.

God I hate supercollider.

The only thing I can guess is that maybe a windows update did something so now it won’t run. It used to run just fine.

Per Exception in World_New: boost::interprocess::intermodule_singleton initialization failed · Issue #2409 · supercollider/supercollider · GitHub, this is fixed in current development builds.

“Bleeding edge” builds: http://supercollider.s3.amazonaws.com/builds/supercollider/supercollider/win64/develop-latest.html

In fact Marcin mentioned bleeding edge builds here but maybe you thought it wasn’t important. It is.

Uhm… sorry? (What do you want anyone to say?)

hjh

I haven’t even had time to reply to Marcin yet so idk what the tone from you is all about. It’s also kind of creepy that you wouldn’t respond about that thread, on that thread. Are you okay?

I vented earlier because I’m frustrated and human. It’s normal. Maybe try and handle that with some maturity. How about “Yeah we all get frustrated with SC from time to time” Or how about saying nothing at all? Both are pretty great options.

I looked through the post you copied, as if I wouldn’t have already looked through just about every single “supercollider won’t boot” thread on the internet, of which there a ton btw and it does not help my situation at all.

I don’t run JACK, I don’t have CCleaner, or windows defender or any other antivirus causing interference, there’s no weird registry stuff, there’s no old instances of sclang or the server running, etc etc etc

I apologize for tone. You are right about that. I didn’t think about the timeline so it was very very premature to throw shade.

As for “creepy,” I don’t think there’s anything wrong with pointing out a relationship between two threads discussing the same problem.

I hope the dev build works for you – as far as I can see, this is the top of the list of things to try. In versions that hadn’t fixed the issue, the problem was rare (I never saw it on any Windows machine where I’d used SC) and still nobody knows exactly why it would start happening, so it could happen on any machine at any time. With a targeted code fix, the chance should be basically zero.

Unfortunately, Windows has historically proven to be a difficult OS to support. The problem that was recently fixed is because of a strange interaction between the boost C++ interprocess library and the Windows event log – which is like, really? It’s reasonable for developers to just use a well-maintained public code library, but then… Surprise! Bang, something died, and it wasn’t clear why. Nobody could have anticipated this… I guess I’m saying, while you’re asking for sympathy for your frustration as a user (which is fair, I apologize for implying that it wasn’t), also don’t forget about developer frustration with this environment – putting in effort to make something good, and Windows pulls the rug out from under, and then getting blamed for that. It is improving in Windows. Perhaps not fast enough, but it’s better than it was.

hjh

No worries, I appreciate that!
I know there’s a lot of people that dedicate a lot of time into making SC what it is given that it’s open source
and I realize how it can sound hearing someone complain about it.

I figured it was strictly a windows thing. I did try the test build and it’s working, so that’s encouraging. It’s frustrating being on windows because I run the home edition and you can’t control when it gets updated unless you drop £200 to switch to pro, and usually the updates end up inevitably breaking something.

Anyway I’m sorry for being grating, and I appreciate your response. The community has been very helpful and I appreciate that.

No worries, I appreciate that!
I know there’s a lot of people that dedicate a lot of time into making SC what it is given that it’s open source
and I realize how it can sound hearing someone complain about it.

I figured it was strictly a windows thing. I did try the test build and it’s working, so that’s encouraging. It’s frustrating being on windows because I run the home edition and you can’t control when it gets updated unless you drop £200 to switch to pro, and usually the updates end up inevitably breaking something.

Anyway I’m sorry for being grating, and I appreciate your response. The community has been very helpful and I appreciate that.

Cool, no worries.

I’m glad that the development build is working better – that’s evidence in favor of the fix that was put in!

Cheers,
hjh