Using emacs/scel in performance situations

What are best practices for using emacs/scel to run a performance? In scnvim I have bound <space> in normal mode to evaluate a block of code, which is handy when I need to let other people run stuff from my computer. So I was thinking of setting up something similar in emacs, but with the additional benefit of setting the buffer to read-only mode, so that nobody would accidentally change the code in the middle of the show. Has anybody done something similar, so that I won’t have to reinvent a wheel?

Furthermore, are there any gotchas I should know about? I suppose the best thing is to do a show from a clean session, but what else could go wrong that I don’t yet know about?

You can use evil mode in emacs; it has vim keybindings.

That’s a very good point. I am trying to avoid evil mode, though, at least for the time being, until I have fully integrated the whole emacs way of doing things…

Another reason for avoiding evil mode is that it gives me that false feeling of being back in nvim, but then a lot of the stuff that I would usually do there doesn’t work anymore. When I use emacs keybindings then I know for sure that this is a foreign land and I shouldn’t even think about doing it vim style…

You can hack it so much that there is no one way of doing things.

Some people find things helpful, such as the hydra mode, which allows you to quickly access custom commands.

Also, get used to moving quickly around the window and using other buffers. That also helps.

Treemacs can also help you have all your file projects visible on the side.

Maybe you may enjoy something like Doom, which comes with comes with the most popular packages (and evil mode but default, but easy to disable)

I’m currently reading Mastering Emacs, and it seems that it won’t be too hard to whip up some lisp code to do what I want to do. I am using the crafted-emacs (GitHub - SystemCrafters/crafted-emacs: A sensible base Emacs configuration.) starter kit right now, which seems to strike the right balance between giving you a usable setup from the go without becoming an inscrutable dinosaur in its own right…

1 Like

It depends on your style of live coding. But you will figure it out quickly, I’m sure. If you’re configuring from scratch, it’s a good start. A Guy like SystemCrafters will organize information for you, and you will not waste time. So it’s a good call for sure to follow him

1 Like

Also, check yasnippet, it helps with repetitive code like the template for a synthdef etc.

Also, one thing that can help is to keybind your functions by starting with the same keys—a kind of " namespace" for your keybindings.

In my particular case, I often use Emacs with Xmonad Windows Manager (really stable and lightweight, for performance that’s good). That kind of thing changes many configurations, including how new frames appear and are arranged in the system displays and workspaces.

Later, you can also interact or start outside system processes if you use other software. But I would wait until you get the basics.

1 Like

Yasnippets is great! I’ve started porting over my luasnippet collection now, and the syntax is just soooooo much friendlier.

I’m using i3 and sway as my main wm’s these days, but all this talk about exwm is making me a bit curious. But only after I’ve figured out the fundamentals of emacs. One step at the time :blush: