Using JackAudio natively on osX

Dear all

I sadly am forced to migrate to Catalina. JackRouter is not supported (I am exploring hopefully JackBridge but not functional yet, stay tuned!) but I see that Linux supports Jack natively for the scsynth. Is there a simple way to get that functionality on MacOS?

Any pointers welcome.

p

If you build supercollider yourself (and have jack installed), you can specify ā€œjackā€ as the audio backend. In that case the serverā€™s audio will always have to go through JACK, it wonā€™t be able to use the sound card directly.
Marcin

1 Like

great thanks. Iā€™ll give that a try. I would ideally have both scsynth living on my machine so Iā€™ll also check how to choose which to use if possible. I will update here whatever workflow I find helpful.

In the meantime I should have read the compilation instructions for MacOS:

Iā€™ve created an unofficial build using Jack as a backend (for use with JackOSX). It seems to work on Catalina.
https://github.com/dyfer/supercollider/releases/tag/3.11dev-jackosx

Let me know if this works for you!
Marcin

1 Like

Rock on! It works. Now I can use just the ā€˜scsynthā€™ app from the terminal and define a server and voilĆ ! I could not find a way to just compile the scsynth part in the project without all the dependencies and you just saved my life (ok, just a few evenings, but still, thanks so much!)

Youā€™re welcome!
Just curious, what else are you running through jack? Thereā€™s very few apps that support jack directly and you canā€™t route sound to anything else without JackRouter.
Marcin

There is this still barely supported JackBridge which runs under Catalina (4 outs 2 ins so just enough for stereo for nowā€¦)

So I can use my favourite DAW (Reaper) with it and SC in insertā€¦ far from ideal, especially because JackBridge is not multiclient, but hey, it works for now and I need to change my machineā€¦

Got it. Iā€™ve seen JackBridge before.
Also it seems that SuperColliderAU is getting some attention which might be another option for DAW integration on macOS.
m

Gerard is a colleague of mine, Iā€™ve heard indeed this is back on his radar :slight_smile: